Peacock emergency

The squishy swelling went down a lot today that was under his eye but the hard spot between his eye and beak is still there. I'm cleaning the puss off the roof of his mouth as often as I can, it comes back pretty fast. snot flows out of that nostril continuously. Now that it won't come out of the eye what do I do? I tried pushing it out that way again and it didn't work. He's losing weight and I think I need to do something with it soon

The squishy swelling went down a lot today that was under his eye but the hard spot between his eye and beak is still there. I'm cleaning the puss off the roof of his mouth as often as I can, it comes back pretty fast. snot flows out of that nostril continuously. Now that it won't come out of the eye what do I do? I tried pushing it out that way again and it didn't work. He's losing weight and I think I need to do something with it soon

He needs an antibiotic if not already. I would make an incision on top of the hard spot to get it out. Also when in the roof of the mouth instead of puncture I would try to make an incision from one side of the cyst to the other side to try and prevent it from filling back up with pus again. If I'm giving bad advice please somebody correct me. This is just what makes sense to me.

Last edited:
He's already getting antibiotics. The think in the roof of his mouth isn't a cyst it's like a big protrusion of swollen flesh that gets puss on it.

He's already getting antibiotics. The think in the roof of his mouth isn't a cyst it's like a big protrusion of swollen flesh that gets puss on it.

I thought you were squeezing pus out of both the eye lid and the roof of the mouth. Probably will need to make an incision were that hard spot is to get it out and milk the rest of the puss out of the incision area. Double check with casportpony. She has more experience with this than I do. I'm just try to help from what I think would be the best option but casportpony might have better advice than I do.

No, a skin of pus just forms on the roof of the mouth, none actually came out of the eye/nostril area. And ok thank you

I think it's about time I gave up. I made a small incision with a scalpel to try and get the puss out right at the top of where the hardness was and he started bleeding like crazy. It soaked through the paper towel and everytime u wiped it away it was pouring down his face again before u could even find where you'd made the incision. I thought I must of hit something bad and I was going to have to hold him while he bled to death so I put pressure on it until it quit, put a little diluted tea tree oil on it and let him go. i can only imagine making incisions on a raging infection is similiar to adding fuel to a fire also. Picking the puss off the roof of his mouth is making it pretty sore looking and it bleeds almost every time I do. I would guess picking at the flesh with tweezers and making it sore twice a day also isn't good. Idk what else to do. All the vets around here are specifically cat and dog or cow vets (and not that great of ones either). I'm completely stumped and feel like I'm probably just going to have to watch him die

Back
Top Bottom