Peacock info

Blue234

Hatching
Dec 29, 2023
Hi! I eventually want to get peacocks and I have a few questions. What do you use for a shelter?, How big is it?, How much was it?, How many peacocks and peahens is a good amount so they don't fight? Is it better to buy them from chicks or adults? Because I know chicks are less expensive and they will become more friendly, but they take like 5 years to grow there tail feathers out fully. But still the biggest hold back is how expensive the housing/shelter is and run.

I would think the run is very important, mine love to be in the sunshine. What part of the world are you in? I'm from Iowa. If it gets extremely hot or cold or rainy where you live it would indicate more on shelter size.
Are you wanting your Peafowl to lay eggs and have more chicks? If so, keep in mind of your ever growing flock. If not, you could get some male peachicks to raise together. They will be cheaper, and if raised together will probably not fight unless they don't have enough space.
Keep in mind that mature male peacocks can have trains/tails 6 feet long or longer and each one will need that room to turn around comfortably.
We had converted a grain storage bin into a shelter and made a 30 foot run coming off of it, 4 Peafowl were comfortable in the space.

I would think the run is very important, mine love to be in the sunshine. What part of the world are you in? I'm from Iowa. If it gets extremely hot or cold or rainy where you live it would indicate more on shelter size.
Are you wanting your Peafowl to lay eggs and have more chicks? If so, keep in mind of your ever growing flock. If not, you could get some male peachicks to raise together. They will be cheaper, and if raised together will probably not fight unless they don't have enough space.
Keep in mind that mature male peacocks can have trains/tails 6 feet long or longer and each one will need that room to turn around comfortably.
We had converted a grain storage bin into a shelter and made a 30 foot run coming off of it, 4 Peafowl were comfortable in the

We had converted a grain storage bin into a shelter and made a 30 foot run coming off of it, 4 Peafowl were comfortable in the space.
Thank you for responding, I am from Springville New York. Do you think it would be ok to just have a big run that has a roof. And some perches because it is more affordable than a whole shelter and run. And aren't they hardy birds? Also have you ever got them as chicks if so how long did it take for there tail to grow out?

Thank you for responding, I am from Springville New York. Do you think it would be ok to just have a big run that has a roof. And some perches because it is more affordable than a whole shelter and run. And aren't they hardy birds? Also have you ever got them as chicks if so how long did it take for there tail to grow out?
2 to 3 years to have the trains to grow out.
Yes. I've had lots of peachicks. :)

They will absolutely need a shelter in New York, just like chickens do. These birds come from India. While they can handle some cold, they need protection in extreme weather, from cold, wind and rain.

Here in WI they need shelter to reliably make it through winter. I heat both the blues/blue mutations and greens. I used to to heat just the greens but I would lose birds to hypothermia here and there which got hard to bear. Now The greens are kept at around 45f and the Blues at 35-40F. I also started having solar timed lights come on for about 20 minutes after sunset to let the birds get up on their roosts without breaking their necks or hurting themselves. They now refuse to go inside the barn from the pens at night until the interior lights come on and then go in to roost. It helps keep birds from sleeping on the floor too if they are better able to see the perches.

They will absolutely need a shelter in New York, just like chickens do. These birds come from India. While they can handle some cold, they need protection in extreme weather, from cold, wind and rain.
I know they need shelter but can't it just be part of their run, I have chickens so I know I have to provide heat, we make sure they are as warm as possible. My idea if I were to get peacocks would be to build a large run with half covered on all sides were they can sleep warmly, then the other half just the roof covered. So it is more affordable to build.

I know they need shelter but can't it just be part of their run, I have chickens so I know I have to provide heat, we make sure they are as warm as possible. My idea if I were to get peacocks would be to build a large run with half covered on all sides were they can sleep warmly, then the other half just the roof covered. So it is more affordable to build.
Yes, that is fine. The coop and run don't have to be separate. As long as it's all enclosed, dry and has plenty of ventilation at top, then it will work, just like a chicken coop. But it needs to be larger, and peacocks need a lot of room for in the run.

Plan on 150 sq ft per bird in your run, more if you can afford it. They tend to multiply so make the run as large as you can afford or plan to add on later. Blues need some shelter from the cold and wet wind and flat wood roosts to protect their toes. If they get too cold they will leave the roosts for the ground so make sure you have some bedding in the coop or risk frost bite.

Back
Top Bottom