Peacocks

pielsberg

Hatching
Oct 13, 2016
I have 2 young male peacocks which are brothers... They get along well and always together..although one is more dominate ... We have chickens they show their feathers to and my question is.. If I introduce 2 peahens will there become rivalry between the brothers or will the 4 peafowl live happily ever after together..

Once they get fully mature they will very likely fight with peahens with them. Unless they are free ranged.

Thankyou for your advice Gray Farms.. They are free range but I'm worried one male may take both hens and the brothers will fight a lot or worse ...one will leave...

One will likely "claim" both hens but the other will hang out with them but the dominant male won't let him breed. They should get along fine then, very unlikely the other male will leave.

I'm not interested in breeding as such ... Just wanting them to live a healthy happy life.. We have foxes who recently took some of our hens .. Would the peahens be safely protected by the peacocks? Can they fly and roost high in the trees as well? I have found that coming into a new spring season the peacocks have been calling out in the middle of the night several times but haven't done this previously.... Could they live a happy life as bachelors showing off to a couple of chickens?

Hens are usually taken by predators when broody. Sometimes males will protect the hens from predators and other times they won't or can't. Peafowl usually fly up at night, high enough that they don't get bothered by predators.

The only time they will live happily ever after is if they are penned in separate pens, in a pair per pen, and when breeding season isn't going on. During breeding season males will turn aggressive towards each other. With peafowl one male to multiple females. They don't usually split into pairs naturally like humans.

You exaggerate a little ... everything can happen very well without any problems. By peacocks, "aggressive" .... this is not the right word! .... Especially in free range!
Two peacocks in the breeding season ..... they are aggressive ???

Ive witnessed a broody peahen fly up a tree to get at a hawk. Peahens are great mothers and fierce,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

You exaggerate a little ... everything can happen very well without any problems. By peacocks, "aggressive" .... this is not the right word! .... Especially in free range!
Two peacocks in the breeding season ..... they are aggressive ???

They can remain civil at times but will become aggressive towards each other.

Back
Top Bottom