Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

We have a couple of adult males that roost on our back deck just outside our sliding glass door of our bedroom. With the door open all night during the summer they are a bit loud but rarely do they wake me. If I need to be woken up for a reason the **** guineas do that.

Thanks for this wonderful informative thread!
I've read thru the "sticky" start. Once I let this sink in, I will go back thru and take more specific notes than the ones I took today.

My intro to peafowl was a very sad one. In short, last year sometime a "friend" with no knowledge acquired 5 peafowl as chicks. I had tremendous problems with his methods of keeping them. Once they were on death's door, he brought them to me to try to save. It didn't work.

I've been researching since then to see if 1) this is a kind of bird that I can care for well asnd keep happy and healthy.
"Co-incidence" would have it that I recently struck up a new friendship with a couple who live only a few streets away and have peafowl. The woman and I have been talking about--IF we can encourage her hens to start laying again--my incubating some of the eggs.

With my little info, I did tell her right away that their diet would need to change, for overall better health, especially for laying.
I'm hoping someone on this thread can tell me where to find specific diet info about dietary needs of adult peafowl. There are 2 adult males, 2 juvie males (she can't keep due to fear of fighting when they fully mature) and a bunch of lovely ladies, some of whom have laid and hatched eggs before.

Any help, links and info will be much appreciated.
I will incubate for her. However I have decided that I will wait until I have a proper aviary built so that the predators where I live do not eat my birds! (She lives close but off of a much more populated and traversed area).

Sorry about my tendency to be verbose. Thanks in advance for help with diet in general and laying diet in specific!
Maye in a year or 2 chicks' diet will come into play for me. I can't wait!

I have pea fowl and i try to keep there protein around 28%. Cat feed has high protein and feed it as a treat i mix laying pellets and cat food to keep up protein. For chicks a chick starter grower works well.

Back
Top Bottom