Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

My opal pied hens only has the white throat latch and I think one has some white flights.this spring I will have a total of 4 BSSP Peacocks to use and one maybe put with these hens. Then again,we're building more breeding pens.

My opal pied hens only has the white throat latch and I think one has some white flights.this spring I will have a total of 4 BSSP Peacocks to use and one maybe put with these hens. Then again,we're building more breeding pens.

You should come to my house to build those pens :D Yours are all such beautiful pens, it's always awesome to see pics- and of course all the pretty peas inside them ;)

"Sweat equity" is what building pens really is,,time consuming and not cheep to do.

It's not cheap if you're doing it right anyway Lol! We just finished the first of my 4 planned pens at my new house in October.

I can't tell if I'm looking forward to building the other three or not- it was a lot of work!

Last edited:
Quote:
You got that right! I have all the materials for the new 28 x 50 run, (not counting the coop) $800 bucks. Got a tip for anyone needing barn tin, if you have a Menards close by, back in the yard they have a pile of returned, and damaged materials and they sell the barn metal for $1.50 per running foot.

All white peacocks hide color .... so all the white peacocks are split ot that color they hide!
When that color is sexe linked .... how it goes?

All white peacocks hide color .... so all the white peacocks are split ot that color they hide!
When that color is sexe linked .... how it goes?

No, this is not correct. They can by homozygous for the color -- not split -- and still be white. The genes are not alleles, except for white and pied. White is not an allele for blue.

I want to worm my peahen (&chickens) this spring as a preventative but i am not comfortable with the syringe down the throat process & my peahen does not like to be held...so question is there any other way? Is there something i can put in their food/water instead?

I want to worm my peahen (&chickens) this spring as a preventative but i am not comfortable with the syringe down the throat process & my peahen does not like to be held...so question is there any other way? Is there something i can put in their food/water instead?

You can use Safeguard for goats, two ml per peahen, one ml per chicken. Mix it in their food for five days then again in ten days for another five days.

Back
Top Bottom