Peafowl Egg Hatched By Muscovy

bubbleberry

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2013
Long story short, I went to collect some Indian runner hatching eggs today to put under my broody muscovy hen. We were also given a peafowl egg for free (I said no but was outvoted šŸ˜‚ ).

The plan is to put them all in the nest at the same time but I'm not sure what the best thing to do is once they start hatching. I read that mum ducks can kill peafowl chicks when they hatch. Will I need to take it away to hatch on its own once it pips the shell?

I have a basic incubator and can set up a brooding box but I would much rather it be raised by "mum" with the ducklings.

It may not work out or even be fertile but I like to plan ahead!

Also, if you have any additional advice that would be great as I only have experience with ducks and chickens.

Thanks in advance!

My Muscovy would hatch snake eggs if she found some, she is being a mama right now to 2 Indian Runners. I doubt your Muscovy will kill the chick but there is a few problems how long do peafowl take to hatch, and when mama takes her ducklings to swim for the first time the peachick maybe just follow them right in. Which won't be a good idea.

My Muscovy would hatch snake eggs if she found some, she is being a mama right now to 2 Indian Runners. I doubt your Muscovy will kill the chick but there is a few problems how long do peafowl take to hatch, and when mama takes her ducklings to swim for the first time the peachick maybe just follow them right in. Which won't be a good idea.
Thanks Lydia, this is the muscovy's first hatch so I'm hoping she will accept all the hatchlings. She is very sweet and submissive in the flock so fingers crossed šŸ¤ž

I set them all at the same time and hoping that they will hatch together, if not I have an incubator running at all times just in case!

Thanks for the tip about the water- I hadn't thought of that! We don't have a pond but I will give them a tray just to paddle in rather than their play pool.

I don't know how many days for peachicks to hatch, do you know? that is another thing you need to take into consideration if peachicks hatch at day 21 like chickens then this peachick will hatch a week before the ducklings at day 28 or around that time. Do you have chickens wish we were close I have a broody chicken who'd love to hatch a peachick for you. Poor girl has no fertile eggs.

I don't know how many days for peachicks to hatch, do you know? that is another thing you need to take into consideration if peachicks hatch at day 21 like chickens then this peachick will hatch a week before the ducklings at day 28 or around that time. Do you have chickens wish we were close I have a broody chicken who'd love to hatch a peachick for you. Poor girl has no fertile eggs.
I asked the lady who had the eggs and she said they take the same amount of time as ducks. Anywhere between 27 and 30 days apparently. Thank you, I have a couple of chickens but they're not overly broody. My Muscovy hen has been sitting on the eggs for 3 days now and is taking it very seriously!

That's good to hear. My Muscovy who is 12 yrs old hatched 2 Runner ducklings almost 4 weeks ago, she is such a good mommy. I love watching her with her ducklings. By the way they are taller than her now lol.
Keep us updated!

Pea eggs take about the same time as ducks eggs, but Muscovy eggs take longer.

I had Muscovy ducks sitting on pea eggs a few years ago. They were very committed to the brooding part. I checked regularly but on hatch day, found one peachick dead and another being thrown around by the duck. I managed to save that one and moved the other eggs into an incubator to finish.

That's is my experience, so my advice would be to allow the Muscovy duck to sit on eggs but remove them to incubator days before potential hatch date.

That's good to hear. My Muscovy who is 12 yrs old hatched 2 Runner ducklings almost 4 weeks ago, she is such a good mommy. I love watching her with her ducklings. By the way they are taller than her now lol.
Keep us updated!
Will do! Thanks again šŸ˜

Pea eggs take about the same time as ducks eggs, but Muscovy eggs take longer.

I had Muscovy ducks sitting on pea eggs a few years ago. They were very committed to the brooding part. I checked regularly but on hatch day, found one peachick dead and another being thrown around by the duck. I managed to save that one and moved the other eggs into an incubator to finish.

That's is my experience, so my advice would be to allow the Muscovy duck to sit on eggs but remove them to incubator days before potential hatch date.
Thank you for sharing your experience šŸ˜Š I think I will do what you suggest just to be safe- I would feel so guilty if the peachick was hurt/killed.

I will need to take a couple of duck eggs out too so that she/he has company. Do you think it would be lonely without a peafowl companion or will it bond to the ducks?

A peafowl can not live with a duck IMO. Very different birds, different size, different food, different needs ie peacocks need high perches not pools. You could sell it (good luck with that as they are so darn cute) or find it a peafowl buddy. If you plan to keep it do lots of research first.

Back
Top Bottom