Raising Muscovies for meat. Incubating eggs?

When I let my Mallard incubate her eggs along with some others after 28 days and hers had hatched she left the nest. I brough the eggs remaining inside and finished hatching them out myself. They were my Mull Ducks and three of them hatched. Two did fine in the incubator and the other one I ended up having to peel out of the egg as it struggled to get out after many hours of internal pipping. She was full of goo so I washed her off and I still have her. She lays no eggs but is a pet and was special to me since I was the first one she ever saw and is very friendly towards me. I had to let the other two go as they were drakes and hard on my hens, wanting to mate everything in the pen and huge. I know the one I kept is sterile and will not lay but I don't mind. She is a big pig though, lol. They say people breed Mule ducks I think for their livers? There is a part of them that is different from other ducks and I was thinking that was it, I could be wrong. There are even plants that do artificial insemination with them because they can't get them to cross breed but all of mine have no morals and will take on anything that moves, lol.
I heard that muscovy x mallard derived birds are usually larger and grow more quickly so people raise them for meat. If I get any mule ducks that's probably what ill do unless I get attached to them.

I heard that muscovy x mallard derived birds are usually larger and grow more quickly so people raise them for meat. If I get any mule ducks that's probably what ill do unless I get attached to them.
That's if the male is a scovie. If it's the female there isn't that much difference from what I've read/heard.

Mine were and the one I kept is huge. She is my largest duck. She had the head of my Rouen Duck and the body of her Dad the Muscovy. She is gray on the body and even started getting a white ring around her neck. I thought for sure she was my male and instead she ended up being the female. Good luck with your decision on what you want to do with them. I could never eat mine. I would eat their duck food first if I was starving.

Mine were and the one I kept is huge. She is my largest duck. She had the head of my Rouen Duck and the body of her Dad the Muscovy. She is gray on the body and even started getting a white ring around her neck. I thought for sure she was my male and instead she ended up being the female. Good luck with your decision on what you want to do with them. I could never eat mine. I would eat their duck food first if I was starving.
I just looked up why people want them. They are leaner, better tasting, larger and calmer than most ducks. It also said how good their liver was. I thought I had remembered the liver being mentioned. I have never had duck but our store called Aldi's sells it here in Ohio. It is no way cheap. Glad I don't intend on eating any, lol.

Incubating Muscovy eggs can be done with no more issues than other poultry eggs. Use humidity levels like a chicken (the higher levels some use on ducks can cause sticky ducklings).
Muscovy eggs do take longer than other ducks. 35-37 days. Also the time it takes to go from internal pip to external pip is longer than chickens.

I just looked up why people want them. They are leaner, better tasting, larger and calmer than most ducks. It also said how good their liver was. I thought I had remembered the liver being mentioned. I have never had duck but our store called Aldi's sells it here in Ohio. It is no way cheap. Glad I don't intend on eating any, lol.
I remember the person I bought my Muscovies from when I lived in Toledo ohio, had mentioned duck liver. I don't think I'd enjoy eating duck liver. 😬

That's if the male is a scovie. If it's the female there isn't that much difference from what I've read/heard.
Here is my Muscovy laying on her nest. I added some extra eggs from my khaki campbells a few days ago. I'm so excited!

Attachments

• received_1184586818877990.jpeg
    received_1184586818877990.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom