Peafowl Genetics for Dummies (in other words us)

Arbor,,I used those birds as an example,,but for me to know and understand the "what will I get if?" I need a comprehensive chart,something like this

Phenotype: Grandparents of Sire Peacock- Sire-100% India Blue
Peahen sire-100% Black Shoulder Silver Pied

Phenotype: Grandparents of Peahen mom- Sire-India Blue split to b/s
Peahen sire-Bronze b/s,w/e

Phenotype: Peacock sire-India Blue Black Shoulder-white flights-few w/eyes in train

Phenotype: Peahen mom-India Blue Black Shoulder

Now if other squares can be used to add any additional Genotypes we may know exists in the grandparents and the parents,completing as much geneotyping in these 6 birds (4 grandparents-2 parents) we then hit the button "submit" and out would come the probabilities of what the mated parent birds could possibly hatch with percentages.

While knowing what the grandparents were is helpful if you don't "see" something in your pair but think one or both might be split for something, you really don't need the previous generation information. Once you know what the parents are, that's all you need to figure out what the offspring will be. Remember, it doesn't matter if Grandma was Pied. What matters is if Daddy got the Pied or White gene -- it's one or the other. Grandma can't give Daddy both. If Daddy didn't get the White gene from Grandma, and he certainly didn't get it from straight IB Grandpa, then Daddy doesn't have the White gene -- he has one copy Pied (from Grandma) and one copy Normal (from Grandpa). It doesn't matter what an ancestor carried if it didn't get passed on to the next generation in the line.

As an example, let's say Grandma was Single Factor White Eye. If Daddy doesn't show the White Eye trait in Single Factor form (i.e. some but not all ocelli are white), then Daddy doesn't have the gene for it -- and thus Daddy can't pass it on to offspring. So it's sort of extraneous information. It's helpful to keep in mind if both grandparents are split to the same "invisible" recessive mutation (say, Bronze, for example) and Daddy looks like regular India Blue. He MIGHT be split to Bronze, but you couldn't tell by looking at him. If you paired him to a Bronze hen and got some Bronze offspring, then you could look back and say "Ah, even though he looks IB, he had split-to-Bronze parents, so he must have gotten one copy from one of them." So it clarifies what he is -- test breeding. But like I said, once you know "what he is", you don't need to put grandparents' information in a Punnett Square. It's really something better saved for a pedigree, to keep in mind if you want to avoid inbreeding ("oops....these two are actually cousins...and I don't want that").

:)

Last edited:
That was Indigo Blue Creek. Hazel is likely midnight bronze, as I've heard from a couple people not on this forum as well.

Hi, I have a quick question about dark pieds. I notice Schmindrick my almost 1 year old IB/W has white flight feathers and a white throat patch. I remember reading something about dark pieds being colored that way. I am wondering if the white throat patch means he is dark pied. If it stays there after he is grown that is. Schmindricks dad looks IB and his mother is white but I'm not sure what pattern she is under the white. Her mom looks IB/W and her dad was a white of unknown pattern. If Schmindrick is a dark pied and I put him with my 2 new silver pied peahens will the babies be 50%pied and %50 silver pied? I can't find the old thread that was talking about it.

Last edited:
Hi there, I am by no means a genetics expert, but it sounds to me like your boy is probably an India Blue split white. I am not sure what he would produce when paired with silver pied hens, but I'm thinking you would get some whites, and some dark pieds/split whites/split pieds. I don't think you would get any silver pied if he is not pied. I'm sure there will be some others answering this for you and if I'm mistaken in my thinking on this they will let you know. As I said, no expert here!
smile.png

Darkpied means a peafowl carrying two copies of the pied gene. When you breed two pied peafowl, 25 % of chicks get just two copies of pied gene. may carry white flights and a small white throat patch, 25% will be white and 50% will be pied. A pied pea carry one white gene and one pied gene contrary to dark pied. This dark pied when bred with a white, all chicks will be pied. A silver pied carrys a Whte, a Pied, and two copies of white eye gene.

So if I understand it then since his dad looked IB he could not have a pied gene and so Schmindrick wouldn't be dark pied? Can a white female carry the pied gene? Sorry, totally lost with the genetics
hu.gif
Here is a picture of him if it helps any. His flight feathers are white.

Schmindrick

Last edited:
About 1/2 mine are the same as yours and I've been calling them IB split to white, but don't know if that's correct
big_smile.png
. All of mine are out of hens with white flights (one also has a patch) by male(s) without white.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom