peafowl pens

Good idea. Can you post pics of your pen?

We have since then put a tarp over the top, added a small sleeping area for the peas over in the left hand corner, and some tree limbs for them to roost on. It's 6' tall, and 10' by 10'. I have plans to get another kennel and but up against it to give them more room. In the future, I would like to convert the metal building you see in the picture into their sleeping/brooding/egg laying quarters....but we haven't agreed on that yet. ; )

I have come to love chain link kennels! I think I payed around $300.00 for the whole kennel, tarp included.

They did have a PVC pipe roof/tarp covering, but it was $100.00 or so extra, so we just found a tarp that fit and attached it with bungy cords.

~ Aspen

Good idea. Can you post pics of your pen?

We have since then put a tarp over the top, added a small sleeping area for the peas over in the left hand corner, and some tree limbs for them to roost on. It's 6' tall, and 10' by 10'. I have plans to get another kennel and but up against it to give them more room. In the future, I would like to convert the metal building you see in the picture into their sleeping/brooding/egg laying quarters....but we haven't agreed on that yet. ; )

I have come to love chain link kennels! I think I payed around $300.00 for the whole kennel, tarp included.

They did have a PVC pipe roof/tarp covering, but it was $100.00 or so extra, so we just found a tarp that fit and attached it with bungy cords.

~ Aspen

Oh, I love that. And I love the idea of converting the metal building into another area for them. They will love that. Looks great! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

nothing too extremly fancy.
5 foot shed. 8 by 10 with a perch inside and a nestbox for the chickens and ducks.
outside is 16X14. 8 foot tall top is covered in snow fencing ontop.
going to put a perch outside that is 6 foot tall.
and in spring will expand a few feet to the left so that everyone has more room.

country_girl011, I remember seeing yours a few days ago and I love it. I love that shed. You have me looking everywhere for a shed, so I can set it up similar to your set up.
How many peas do you have in there and how long is the run? Do you keep the food and water outside of the shed? How high do you have the roosts inside? How tall is the shed? I would love to find a shed that is at least 6 feet tall. I'm 5'7" and I don't want to have to bend down to get in and out.

country_girl011, I remember seeing yours a few days ago and I love it. I love that shed. You have me looking everywhere for a shed, so I can set it up similar to your set up.
How many peas do you have in there and how long is the run? Do you keep the food and water outside of the shed? How high do you have the roosts inside? How tall is the shed? I would love to find a shed that is at least 6 feet tall. I'm 5'7" and I don't want to have to bend down to get in and out.
there are 6 peas in there.
all sub adults besides 1 adult hen.
plus the 4 chickens and 4 ducks..

the run is 16 foot long.
food and water is outside (the peas is hanging from the fence so the ducks stay out of the medicated feed) and there are 2 bowls on the ground that the duck/chicken food goes in but the peas also eat it.
water is also outside in 2 rubber dishes low enough for the ducks to swim in.

the inside roost is 3 foot tall. the shed is 5-6 foot tall. doorway is 5 and i think at the tallest point it is prolly 6 foot.

we got this shed at menards. but they also have it at lowes.
and they have different sizes.

only downfall was there is no floor. it is ment to have a cement floor inside. so we put down plywood and waterproofed it .

Question: How do y'alls peafowl do in confinement? How much room would a trio or pair need? There were peafowl at my grandparents' place when I was a kid but they were free and roosted in trees and on the house. I would love to have some around here but would probably have to pen them, at least part of the time.

Although they can live in smaller spaces, we have settled on 10' x 30' as the smallest enclosure we would ever build again for even one full grown bird. The length allows for flight from the roost. Our birds do very well in confinement. During breeding season we place up to five birds in one of these enclosures although I prefer only four. We do keep juveniles under one in smaller enclosures if we have a bunch of them but they are much happier in the 30' length cages. Juvenile birds younger than two years fly around and play much more than older birds.

I have a trio of juvenile peas in a 10' x 10' x 6' Chainlink run. I will be expanding it to at least 20' x 20' when they get bigger. They do really well in their enclosure. I have some tree limbs for them to roost on, and they have plenty of room to jump around and flap their wings.

~ Aspen

Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind me jumping in and adding pics of our new pea enclosure. We live in the high desert, where we have VERY cold nights (as low as 12 degrees recently) and warm days (as warm as 65). We also have sustained high winds from the SW, so I situated the enclosure to provide wind-protection as much as possible. I had considered buying a used a shed (there were so many on Craigslist) but I was told that they might not use it since they don't really like to go inside like chickens do. So finally we decided to build a 3 sided open lean-to type thing. We got the breeding trio a couple of weeks ago and since then I've noticed that they hang out in the lean-to during the day, but at night (even the coldest nights) they prefer to roost outside, on the tallest roost which is about 6 feet off the ground.

The entire enclosure is about 32x12. The far side (north) is made of of the existing chain link at the back of our property. Two other fenced sides (south and east) in the pic are formed from a dog kennel I bought on CL. The lean-to still needs paint, but we have to wait for the weather to warm up first.

Based on my reading (I have zero experience with peas) I put two nests in the corners, hoping they will lay there, tho right now they usually just snuggle there as a group during the day. The only real issue I've had so far is that sparrows and other small birds like to come in through the chain link and poo in the pea's water. I could wrap the fencing with chicken wire or extra netting, I suppose. Or develop a new watering system of some kind. My chickens are on a 5 gal bucket fed vinyle hose nipple waterer. I'm also concerned about safety and have considered putting an electric fence around it to deter predators, but haven't done that yet. I'll be even more concerned if they breed, and could use some advice about keeping the enclosure safe for babies.

I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions from those of you with pea experience.

Back
Top Bottom