Peafowl with broken wing

Poultrylady2022

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
I tried to post this in the injuries section but didn’t have any luck with answers so I was hoping maybe someone here can help me out. My 5 month old peafowl had a freak accident yesterday and landed on his wing wrong and it’s definitely broken. I originally had it wrapped in an ace bandage but got some vet wrap and wrapped it up better. I’m pretty sure the bone came through the skin. My problem is I have no avian vet close by that could help. What should I do? I have wrapped the wing and he is eating and drinking and walking around although not as much as he did before the accident. Should I give antibiotics since the skin was broken to prevent infection? If so what kind? Also, if it doesn’t heal right which I’m sure it won’t because I have no clue how to set a wing, how badly will he be affected? He wont be free ranging so predators shouldn’t be a problem I just worry about him being able to get up to a roost. Thanks

Do you know what bone is broken and are you sure it came through the skin?

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
I wish I had taken a picture before I wrapped it. It’s not where the wing comes out of the body but at the first bend the wing makes. (Around the elbow maybe? Sorry not good with parts of a birds wing) When we rewrapped it I had to move it a little bit and could see the bone when the wing was moved.

I wish I had taken a picture before I wrapped it. It’s not where the wing comes out of the body but at the first bend the wing makes. (Around the elbow maybe? Sorry not good with parts of a birds wing) When we rewrapped it I had to move it a little bit and could see the bone when the wing was moved.
Which one?
wing.png

I’m pretty sure it’s the ulna. The bone is not broken in two but it is not attached to the humerus anymore. He managed to get his wrap off this morning and the muscle that surrounds his humerus is very swollen and blue. I think I’m going to have to find a vet. Even if I have to travel.

Will he be able to live like that? I don’t want to put him down if I can avoid it and even though it looks very painful he doesn’t seem like he’s in pain. Is there anything I can give him to help with swelling? And should I be giving him antibiotics since there’s a break in his skin?

Meloxicam or children's liquid aspirin, 0.1ml per pound for pain and swelling. I would caution you to get a second opinion from a real vet and not rely on an internet opinion from someone who can only guess what the birds problem is. A vet can remove the part of the wing that could be useless and treat as needed.

I plan to, but can’t find one that will see him over the weekend. I want to make him as comfortable as possible until Monday when hopefully I’ll find someone. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom