Mama KK

Chirping
Oct 22, 2022
Peahen started showing symptoms of illness last Friday (August 1), got her into the vet same day. Fecal sample was clear, exam was clear but her behavior was off, they treated with antibiotic (5 days in water) and anti-inflammatory (5 days orally). She was quarantined the whole time, she's not eating as far as we can tell and could care less about treats.

Took her back to re-check her at end of 5 days, vet says her vitals look better but started a round of corrid (10 days orally) just in case (we had just had a new batch of quail and highly possibly she got in brooder once they were moved out. He also stated he wasn't truly concerned with the lack of eating as long as she's drinking (which she is).

Here's my question, she's still not eating that I can tell but poop is starting to look more normal (less green more white/yellow). Do we need to keep her quarantined for the full 10 days or can we let her out? I'm wondering if the not eating is because she hates being in her own pen. She loves to be with her chickens and her dog and is used to being free-range during the day. This is the first time we've had an ill bird and I'm out of my element with it, especially one with as much personality as this girl.

I am not impressed with your vet. If the fecal exam was clear of cocci and worms why treat for cocci? It would take a month or more for a stressed bird to have symptoms caused by cocci.

It does sound like a bacterial infection since the poo is white to yellowish in color instead of the healthy dark green. Posting a pic would help us.

Just because the vet gave an antibiotic does not mean the correct one was used. Putting antibiotics in the water is not a sure way of dosing, injections are much better, or at least oral drenches are sure ways to administer the correct amount of medication.

Cocci, worms, blackhead, and secondary infections caused by environmental issues are common illnesses but they also will have other issues like cancer, tumors, and eating sharp objects. Not everything is treatable.

I am not impressed with your vet. If the fecal exam was clear of cocci and worms why treat for cocci? It would take a month or more for a stressed bird to have symptoms caused by cocci.

It does sound like a bacterial infection since the poo is white to yellowish in color instead of the healthy dark green. Posting a pic would help us.

Just because the vet gave an antibiotic does not mean the correct one was used. Putting antibiotics in the water is not a sure way of dosing, injections are much better, or at least oral drenches are sure ways to administer the correct amount of medication.

Cocci, worms, blackhead, and secondary infections caused by environmental issues are common illnesses but they also will have other issues like cancer, tumors, and eating sharp objects. Not everything is treatable.
Attached is a picture of her poo on the fourth day of antibiotics.
I believe if it was a sharp object she would have already declined since we're 9 days from when she started acted "off".
If it's an issue like cancer or tumor then she'll live her best life while she can.
My biggest concern right now is I'd like to let her back out to free range with her chickens but not sure how to confirm that she's not contagious. They've been separated by a fence so in the same "air space" just not sharing food/water.

Attachments

• 835CE352-D00F-49C1-BD8B-00275B7C6B6C.jpeg
    835CE352-D00F-49C1-BD8B-00275B7C6B6C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Attached is a picture of her poo on the fourth day of antibiotics.
I believe if it was a sharp object she would have already declined since we're 9 days from when she started acted "off".
If it's an issue like cancer or tumor then she'll live her best life while she can.
My biggest concern right now is I'd like to let her back out to free range with her chickens but not sure how to confirm that she's not contagious. They've been separated by a fence so in the same "air space" just not sharing food/water.
Oh, that is not good at all. I would start her on metronidazole right away. 125 mg 2x per day or 250 mg tablet once per day for five days for treating blackhead. When done give her a probiotic to rebuild her gut flora. If you can't get to a vet for the metronidazole today you can find it in the fish department at a pet store.

Calling dr. Poo! @casportpony Look at the pic of poo.m
Oh, that is not good at all. I would start her on metronidazole right away. 125 mg 2x per day or 250 mg tablet once per day for five days for treating blackhead. When done give her a probiotic to rebuild her gut flora. If you can't get to a vet for the metronidazole today you can find it in the fish department at a pet store.
Her poo doesn’t look like this anymore. It’s more normal looking. This was dying treatment. I’m just trying to determine if I need to keep her quarantined or can let her out.

If mine were pooping that, I would treat for cecal worms, blackhead, & E.coli. I would also start tube feeding.
  • E.coli - enrofloxacin at 15mg/kg twice a day for 3-5 days
  • Blackhead - metronidazole at 50 mg/kg once a day for five days
  • Cecal worms - fenbendazole at 50 mg/kg once. Repeat in 10 days

Tub feeding
Step 1:

Bring bird inside and place in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal (watch for signs of over-heating).

Step 2:
Weigh the bird

Step 3:
Once warmed, correct hydration and this should not be done until the bird is warmed up. Tube warmed (102 degrees) Pedialyte or Gatorade at 14 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat. If no poop is produced by 3 hours after first tubing, repeat once more.

Step 4:
Once the bird is pooping you can start tubing warmed Kaytee Exact baby bird food or a non-lay crumble (lay crumble has too much calcium). Start by tubing 14 ml per pound of body weight and increase a little at each feeding. Do not exceed 23 ml per pound of body weight. Sick birds are tube fed 2-4 times a day.

"Tube feeding, also known as gavage feeding, is an essential part of avian supportive care. Sick birds are often presented with a history of anorexia, and glycogen stores may be depleted within hours in the granivore (including psitacine, passerine and galliform species) secondary to a relatively high metabolic rate. Another important indication for gavage feeding is a documented drop in body weight of 5% to 10%."
Source: https://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

Her poo doesn’t look like this anymore. It’s more normal looking. This was dying treatment. I’m just trying to determine if I need to keep her quarantined or can let her out.
Are you sure? The poop picture that you posted is a cecal poop, and they only produce cecal poops a few times a day. Can you post pictures of what her poop looks like now?

Yes that was a picture from while she was being treated with antibiotics and all of her droppings looked like this at that time. Green and runny.

I was trying to show what it did look like to try and figure out if she was diagnosed correctly. I don’t have a current picture of her droppings will try and get one soon.

If mine were pooping that, I would treat for cecal worms, blackhead, & E.coli. I would also start tube feeding.
  • E.coli - enrofloxacin at 15mg/kg twice a day for 3-5 days
  • Blackhead - metronidazole at 50 mg/kg once a day for five days
  • Cecal worms - fenbendazole at 50 mg/kg once. Repeat in 10 days

Tub feeding
Step 1:

Bring bird inside and place in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal (watch for signs of over-heating).

Step 2:
Weigh the bird

Step 3:
Once warmed, correct hydration and this should not be done until the bird is warmed up. Tube warmed (102 degrees) Pedialyte or Gatorade at 14 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat. If no poop is produced by 3 hours after first tubing, repeat once more.

Step 4:
Once the bird is pooping you can start tubing warmed Kaytee Exact baby bird food or a non-lay crumble (lay crumble has too much calcium). Start by tubing 14 ml per pound of body weight and increase a little at each feeding. Do not exceed 23 ml per pound of body weight. Sick birds are tube fed 2-4 times a day.

"Tube feeding, also known as gavage feeding, is an essential part of avian supportive care. Sick birds are often presented with a history of anorexia, and glycogen stores may be depleted within hours in the granivore (including psitacine, passerine and galliform species) secondary to a relatively high metabolic rate. Another important indication for gavage feeding is a documented drop in body weight of 5% to 10%."
Source: https://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/
Here is a photo of E-Coli in young chicks, I had a really bad bout with this and still have a few recovering. They are very slow to recover. Their poo is a slow drizzle of whitish yellow.
IMG_8284.JPG
IMG_8285.JPG
IMG_8347.JPG

Back
Top Bottom