I mentioned E. coli because each time I've had one necropsied, they had blackhead & E. coli.
I expect that KKs hen has blackhead or a bad yeast infection. I am not sure the vet can run a good fecal exam. BH will not show up on a fecal exam but the worms that carry BH do. I have seen that black tarry stools in both BH and yeast infections. These are pics from my first experience with BH over ten years ago.
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

Are you sure? The poop picture that you posted is a cecal poop, and they only produce cecal poops a few times a day. Can you post pictures of what her poop looks like now?
Here’s a more recent photo of her poo from either last night or this morning. I couldn’t get the metronidazole yesterday anywhere. Vet opens this morning and hoping to get it from them.

Attachments

• 847AC9AD-5CDF-4E58-86D1-258B2B7E57B0.jpeg
    847AC9AD-5CDF-4E58-86D1-258B2B7E57B0.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 5
This is how she looks this morning. She’s not been ruffled up like I’ve seen some photos of blackhead peas.

She just seems tired and no energy. I only see fight in her when we’re giving her meds. We’re on day 10 of this and I don’t know what to do. It feels like a guessing game and it’s breaking my heart

Attachments

• A11B9F87-24C6-4635-852F-9F85F5564BA7.jpeg
    A11B9F87-24C6-4635-852F-9F85F5564BA7.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 5
Here’s a more recent photo of her poo from either last night or this morning. I couldn’t get the metronidazole yesterday anywhere. Vet opens this morning and hoping to get it from them.
If you have a big box pet store like Pet-Smart they will have a product in the fish supplies called Fish-Zole, it will come in a packet form you mix in water and tube to the bird. Also look for a crop needle or Gavage feeding syringe while you are there.

Can you call the vet first thing in the morning and ask them for metronidazole, enrofloxacin, an 18 french rubber catheter, and a 60 ml catheter-tipped syringe?

I wanted to check back in - My sweet Peahen is doing great, on day 12 of being sick and isolated when I offered her treats she ate a bit then went to her food and pecked a bit there. I offered her more treats the next morning and she ate a little more, that evening she ate every bit of it then went to her food and ate that. We let her out the next morning with the rest of the flock and she's been fine ever since. Her poops are slowly returning to normal and not one of my other birds ever showed any sign of illness.

I have no idea what was wrong with her but whatever it is she beat it and is back to her feisty self, she still looks skinny to me though.

Thank y'all for all of the advice, she's back with her favorite animal, her dog!
IMG_9108.jpg .

Back
Top Bottom