Peakin bantham enclosure advice

Kayls

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
Hello all!

Im after some advice. I have quite a large pen for my bantams we have had a lot of rain lately and their feet are starting to get messy. I have kept their pen covered but the little rascals are expert diggers. Half of the pen is slabbed the other half is soil. What can I put down to prevent them getting more mucky? Im thinking wood chip? What’s people’s thoughts? I aired the idea of straw but someone mentioned to me you have to be careful of the supplier As it cold contain red mites.

What is your climate like? What's the drainage like at the location? Assuming drainage is good, wood chips work great as a base material to allow for drainage and aeration in the soil.
Uk, drainage is good. Ooo that sounds great!

I aired the idea of straw but someone mentioned to me you have to be careful of the supplier As it cold contain red mites.
Straw will not contain red mites. Red roost mites have to have the blood of chickens to live and reproduce. If the straw was not previously being used with chickens it is not going to bring in red mites. There are too many other biosecurity issues with reusing any bedding for that to be feasible, issues much more risky than mites. Some people say mites can hide in the hollow straw stems. There is truth in that, but red roost mites can hide in any crack even if that crack is made by two different pieces of bedding laying against each other. Almost any bedding you use can provide hiding places for red mites and almost all of us have other places in our coops that the mites can hide if they are present. I don't know if straw is a good choice for you to use but don't let the fear of mites be a determining factor.
What is your climate like? What's the drainage like at the location? Assuming drainage is good, wood chips work great as a base material to allow for drainage and aeration in the soil.
:thumbsup

A lot of it comes down to drainage. If water stands in the area then you have challenges. If it drains fairly well then many things can work. I personally don't use wood chips but many people are happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom