Peanut, The World's Oldest Chicken Dies

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
Not my chicken, but I saw this story, and found it bittersweet. What a beautiful bond Peanut had with her owner.

CHELSEA, Mich. – The world’s oldest living chicken, who survived abandonment by her mother at birth, has died at the age of 21.

Peanut the Chicken died in her sleep in her owner’s arms on Christmas morning.

“I’m truly grieving her loss,” Marsi Parker Darwin told FOX Weather. “She was a remarkable little bird and has left a void in our home and our hearts.”

Peanut passed very peacefully, and Darwin said she was grateful for that.

Darwin recently posted an online “obituary” for Peanut, a chicken she had cared for and bonded with for 21 and a half years.

She shared that she had raised Peanut from an egg and was heartbroken despite the fact that Peanut had lived an exceptionally long life for a chicken.

“I have many years of memories with her and am so glad of that, and the fact that she touched so many people with her survival and spirit through my little book, ‘My Girl Peanut and Me.’”

https://nypost.com/2024/01/01/news/...cken-dies-at-21-in-michigan-owners-arms/?s=09

Thank you for sharing the news of my sweet Peanut’s passing. I appreciate the kindness of chicken people who understand chickens can be great pets. The insensitivity of some comments on other sites where the news has spread worldwide is heartbreaking to me. So thank you. I miss her terribly. - Marsi Parker Darwin
Wow you’re her owner. What an amazing gift to have her as a companion for so long! Sorry for your loss

Hi, Marci, I didn't know you were here on BYC!

I saw a couple of online articles just a couple months ago about Peanut being the world's oldest chicken and the saga of her long life with you! I'm so sorry that she passed, but what a wonderful life she had...and perfect that she was in your arms when it was time for her to go. (But Christmas morning...so sad...😢)

One article said that you also have one of her daughters, who was 15 years old if I recall correctly? Peanut certainly left a legacy of longevity!

And a pox on the trolls and other nasty-minded people who feel they have the right to say cruel things when someone has lost a dearly loved pet, especially one who's been part of your life for 21 years! 😡🤬 Shame on them all! What miserable creatures they must be inside their own heads; if only they'd keep that nastiness to themselves!

Peace be with you; we here at BYC certainly understand.:hugs

Thank you for sharing the news of my sweet Peanut’s passing. I appreciate the kindness of chicken people who understand chickens can be great pets. The insensitivity of some comments on other sites where the news has spread worldwide is heartbreaking to me. So thank you. I miss her terribly. - Marsi Parker Darwin
Sure, the cruel people out there think that it’s odd to bond with an animal other than what’s considered to be a more proper, widely accepted pet (dog, cat, and so on). They have obviously NEVER hugged a chicken. Maybe they should. They might be more understanding. Rest peacefully sweet little Peanut. ❤️

I am very sorry for your loss. We are new chicken owners, but even in the 8 month or so since we got our girls, we have gotten very attached to them. I can’t imagine over 20 years!

The fact people leave the hustle and bustle of the rest of the world out of this forum is the main reason I come here often and try so hard to be a productive member of BYC. People are friendly, understanding and just amazing. It gives me hope for the crazy world we live in today.

Once again, my deepest sympathy ❤️‍🩹

God Bless!
Jake and Ann

It's just amazing how chickens can become so intertwined in our hearts, most non chicken keeping people don't understand this. The passing of some of our birds is akin to losing a family member, it's crushing for sure. 💔 My heart goes out to you. :hugs

Ma'am, I was telling a friend about Peanut, and we talked about how people that have a connection to animals, and care for them with compassion, are our kind of people. Bless you for giving your feathered friend the kind of care that allowed her to live a long life. I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom