Peas ran away and now I'm afraid to free-range

I have three yearling peas - one male and two females. I've let them free-range since they were three or four months old. They have never left the property, spending most of the day in their coop and playing tag under the pines in the mornings and evenings. Last week they disappeared. There was no trace of them whatsoever. I searched high and low, notified all my neighbors, posted on Facebook, and made flyers. Four days later, a neighbor called to say they were in his yard (he has two emus and they were eating the emus' food) . I was able to herd them home but now I am terrified they will run away again. I was so worried about them! They didn't seem like they had any intention of returning home on their own, as I've heard peas will do. So I'm wondering what to do. Should I still let them free-range, should I build an aviary, is this normal spring-time behavior, are they still too young to be left to their own devices? I hope some of you more experienced peapeople can give me some advice. Thanks!
i'd probably get 'em some of that emu food
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom