Pecking in chicks?

CoopCrazy13

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
My roughly 5-6 week old chicks are pecking at me when I handle them, I have been training them with small pieces of craisin (dried cranberries)n, could this have anything to do with it? How can I stop them pecking? Usually they seem unsure and peck pretty gently, but sometimes they are painful. Can anyone tell me how to deal with this?

My chicks peck at scabs on me and sometimes at pieces of dirt. This is pure curiosity, it could even be considered grooming, but it can hurt. I've never tried too hard to stop, since I usually just tell them ow or move and they shy away for a moment, which distracts them.
My hens, however, peck a bit harder and leave marks when trying to grab for food or tell me to hurry up and give them food. I don't really mind it too much, but I can see why some would. Sorry, I'm not sure what to do.

Best of luck with your chicks.
smile.png

My chicks peck at scabs on me and sometimes at pieces of dirt. This is pure curiosity, it could even be considered grooming, but it can hurt. I've never tried too hard to stop, since I usually just tell them ow or move and they shy away for a moment, which distracts them.
My hens, however, peck a bit harder and leave marks when trying to grab for food or tell me to hurry up and give them food. I don't really mind it too much, but I can see why some would. Sorry, I'm not sure what to do.

Best of luck with your chicks. :)

My chicks do the same qith me, my hens are very gentle though. I have a skintag/mole thing on my neck that the runt, Jewel pulled on today... it was so painful.

Back
Top Bottom