Pecking on each other?

ayahlove97

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2015
27372.jpeg
A few of my chickens bottoms are raw and red and at first I chalked it up to them picking on each other because of too little space, we are working on building a bigger coop right now, is this something other than just pecking each other? Is there something I can do to help them heal?

Get some pine tar at Tractor Supply, and apply it to the red bottoms, keeping it an inch or so away the vents. That can help prevent vent pecking. Your chickens are pecking and starting to cannibalize each other. What are you feeding them? They should get chicken feed as 90% of their intake, and that should be 16-20% protein. Stop treats, scratch, corn or table scraps since that will dilute the prorein they need. Chickens need about 4 square feet of room if they are not getting outside to free range. Boredom can be a problem, also too much light for too many hours.

The only way to prevent it is to expand their run or maybe change their diet. What protein percentage are you feeding them?
I'd have to check the feed I dont remember right of hand. They have a 10x 20 foot run but the chicken house is small and we lock them up at night, we are currently building a larger one for them

Get some pine tar at Tractor Supply, and apply it to the red bottoms, keeping it an inch or so away the vents. That can help prevent vent pecking. Your chickens are pecking and starting to cannibalize each other. What are you feeding them? They should get chicken feed as 90% of their intake, and that should be 16-20% protein. Stop treats, scratch, corn or table scraps since that will dilute the prorein they need. Chickens need about 4 square feet of room if they are not getting outside to free range. Boredom can be a problem, also too much light for too many hours.
We have a heat lamp in their coop should we leave that off at night?

What are you temperatures during the day and at night? Heat lamps can be very dangerous, but I do understand that some use them when the temps are around zero. Red lamps are less likely to cause a disturbance, but those are usally the 250 watt ones and very hot. Premier1 sells a 125 watt one I believe.

Back
Top Bottom