Pecking Order?

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
Ok, today it seems my largest Light Brahma has really been showing her dominance over the flock. she's been peckish at several birds, but my poor EE rooster(Only Roo period) has been taking the brunt..I sat and watched for over 30 mins, while she ran him in circles. Poor fellow would sometimes try to get a spine and peck back, only to be ran around some more. Nothing has been violent by any means, just seems after i thought by now the pecking order was in place,,The Triple B' biggest baddest brahma is fit to be tied today, all chicks around around the 15/18 week mark. Should i be concerned, or just keep an eye out, as i do have CCTV on my flock lol..

Your birds are now beginning to sexually mature. The pecking order will become more important over the next 6 months as top birds get the resources and any offspring will have the better chance of survival. It's all instinct, and is similar to kids in high school wanting to be popular.

Are you sure your Brahma is a pullet?

Heres the "Boss"

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    521.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    529.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 7
Definitely a she. I kinda like the idea of a pullet putting the young rooster in his place. She does have a good stink eye.

Those 2 have had this animosity thing since they were about 4/5 weeks old..She is a couple weeks older than him i think. .Like i said, not violent fighting but a comical peck and chase him around in circles...I do feel bad for the young lad, but hey, dady's girl takes no crap..lol Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom