Pecking!

Burgs

Chirping
May 25, 2015
Canterbury
Hi there! I have an issue that has plagued me for well over three months now and I was wondering if anybody could offer any advice on what else I could try that I haven't already done!

I have a rooster that got into a tussle with another one of my roosters and caused a bit of a cut on his comb. I thought "hay these things happen I'll spray it with some antiseptic
Spray (I forget the name it's like a purple spray you can put on wounds) and that will be that!

Fast track to three months down the line and what was a little cut has pretty much turned into a few large scabs that are refusing to heal because my hens keep pecking at it!

I have tried anti pecking spray, that worked for a few days but after that they kind of just ignored the taste.

I've tried wound spray over the whole comb to try and disguise the scabs, again this didn't work.

I've tried sticking plasters over the wounds and colouring them red so it blends in with the comb but that didn't work either as the rooster just scratched them all off.

I've tried Seperation but the rooster is so keen to find his flock that he was running up and down the fence or anything I put in place and this just caused his comb t start bleeding in a different place!!! Grrrrrr

My flock is mixed I have various breeds so it's not even easy to kind of mix in and hide amongst other birds that look the same he stands out like sore thumb!

I'm actually considering putting plasters on and sealing them in with perhaps super glue or some such thing as I know it's a medical glue and it will eventually just wear off and in that time hopefully it would have healed!

Has anybody else got any other suggestions????? I'm most certainly not going to remove the comb so don't suggest that lol

Personally, I'd go with tough love and isolate him - regardless of his protestations (maybe out of sight of the rest of the flock - e.g. a garage)

I could put him in with the ducks for a while and see how it goes. I only haven't done it yet as he is a bit temperamental :-/

Back
Top Bottom