Peggy the chicken with one wing

Raccoons are horrible beasts, they will reach in and bite off any body part they can snag.
Chickens often oblige them by leaning up against the fence.
Ya... last night we lost another to the same fate.. were putting up that chicken wire tomorrow my dad shot at least 5 raccoons one got ran over as he scared it into the road.. perfect timing :gig

A few weeks ago (June 23rd 2018 I think lol) a raccoon ( this raccoon and his “friends” was probably what got into my coop and killed all but 1 of my chickens but we got 17 chicks from a friend and I’m talking about them when they first went outside, not right away but after a few days maybe) was trying to get into my coop, snapped one chickens neck, killing it through the chicken wire and pulled anothers wing through, they where young so the raccoon pulled the wing off. The friend we got them from took care of the chicken during recovery and other than a puncture wound it only was missing a wing my dad named it “peg leg Peggy” or Peggy for short tomorrow we are picking her up as her wounds are healed and she’s ready to come home, here is a picture the morning after the incident I will get pictures tomorrow when we pick her upView attachment 1462151

Edit: I forgot to say she is very healthy and doing amazing not suffering at all!
Wow...Check out the super hen! :woot

510216DF-F8C1-4230-957E-E1B71EBA4B8E.jpeg
8EAA0E2E-6032-48AA-B91A-4BB006D19E48.jpeg
D7200B4B-0D7B-4A45-B3AC-DAB79B2229EE.jpeg
I GOT PICTURES!!
She came home today! We put some stuff on her side so the others don’t peck at her! The cute thing is they were keeping her with kittens because she got lonely and all their chickens were full grown!

I never even thought of this...so the hens would sleep within coon arm's reach of the chicken wire? Don't they have a hen house for night time? I am confused...
They do but they were sleeping on the ramp instead were putting more perches for the picky little things
Edit they were also sleeping on the wood that lays against the ground (they did but don’t anymore)

Back
Top Bottom