Pekin bantam thread!

I should probably do some research about breeding for certain colours but at the moment I'm happy to have a nice surprise when I get chicks!

I three lav cuckoos (one rooster and two hens) I have are young and the hens are not currently laying (not entirely sure how old they are). I love their colour and they have great temperament, only downside is that none of them have the lovely round tails (they have a tint of roundness), will they fill out and get a better shape after a molt or as they get older? Or are they just poor examples?

loobyloo88 your chicks are gorgeous, can't wait to hatch some of my own. I'm not sure about the cockerel behaviour since I'm relatively new to this, if it were me I'd go by the comb and wattles but in my experience I've realised there's rarely a for sure answer!

Hi there, what kind of tails do the parents have? My chicks also started off with sticking-up-tails but this slowly rounded off out as they filled out ...

Hi there, what kind of tails do the parents have?  My chicks also started off with sticking-up-tails but this slowly rounded off out as they filled out ...

Hi! I have no idea, I bought the trio at an auction and at the time didn't really know what I was supposed to be looking for. I'm hoping since they are young that they will round off as they grow. Here is a picture of them (as best as I can get atm). They are maybe a month away from laying?

I unfortunately lost my two oldest pekins this week. Penny and Pixie, who both hatched some eggs for me this summer. A fox got into our pen, as I hadn't bolted the door properly, and took all 4 of the chickens in it. Thankfully our chicks were seperate and are safe, including the two lavenders pekin chicks.

My children were obviously gutted to find out what had happened, but once over the initial hurt they were asking when they could have a new one! So today we have been a nearby smallholders and they picked a new chicken each. We got one new pekin, who I hope will perhaps go broody next year and we can habe a few more chicks to fill up the flock. And here she is...my daughter has named her Phoebe (she keeps changing her mind so it may change still yet!) But I love her colouring...not sure whats its called tho. Not the greatest photo either, they had only just gone in the coop so will hooefully get a better photo with time!

Lets bring this thread back to life again! :) Any pekin lovers out there still????
I am finally getting my pekins next week after my broody failed to hatch two clutches of pekin eggs and then my flock was taken overnight before christmas sadly only one survivor :( I currently have 1 bantam and two large hens but i cant wait to get my pekin trio next weekend ! Im sooo excited . O cant wait to breed them as i have a brand new incubator :D
Is everyone still here?? :)

My Pekin starting laying today and hoping it might go broody soon. It is mid summer in Aus so hopefully it does!!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom