Pekin drake hurting all the other ducks

Also. A Pekin drake is
Ummmmm
Quite a different size than Khaki Campbell hens....
He will likely hurt them trying to breed them, even if on accident :hit

You may really want to reconsider re homing, or processing him- or sending him to Drake Jail and seeing if he comes around..... if you can’t make another choice.

Personally, if I have a Tom turkey or drake attacking my family members, he goes straight to freezer camp.
Aggressive behavior might not be hereditary- but I’ve personally found that it generally is, and don’t want to take a chance on that passing on, as we hatch babies to sell and / or keep.
Only our nicest drakes and Toms get to procreate.
We don’t fuss with them much- so, by “nicest”, I only expect that they don’t (consistently/ overly) hurt their girls while mating, don’t try to attack anyone cleaning or feeding in their area, tolerate quick but regular health checks (they don’t have to like it but the can’t try to claw my eyes out.... more than once lol)
....we don’t have chickens but it would be no different for a roo if we had them.

I do have bachelor pens for our “extra” Toms, so we can verify fertility and virility of offspring over various hens, but it’s a challenge to keep everyone out of sight of the others and away from the hens.

I’ve also processed birds that I was very fond of, because they were Houdinis about getting out of fencing. If it was a “me” problem, obviously, I fixed the fence. But. If it was a “them focused on escaping at any cost” problem.... I hate processing days, but I’d rather feed my family than feed the local coyotes/ bobcats/ owls/ hawks/ mountain lions, and also not have the naughty birds show the others how to be escape artists!

Just my 0.02$

Back
Top Bottom