Pekin Rouen mix?

20200629_010257.jpg

About a month old. Rouens are getting their brown/black feathers in more and more each day. Seems like the mix is feathering slower, but it's also a bit bigger than the others.

They're still far less panicky than the Pekins, and calm down much faster.

20200713_151658.jpg

6 weeks now, mostly feathered out.
You can see it's got some white on the chest and white toward the end of the wings.

Curious to know if it's a drake or not, but that'll be a while yet. Tried introducing them to the adult ducks...

The Rouen lady looked like she was going to be nasty, but her advance was cut off by amorous drakes, and she decided it would be better to run from them. The two Pekins chased her, the Rouen drake lagged behind. He seemed curious, but when the young ones waddled toward him, he ran off too. Guess he didn't like being outnumbered?

57C735A9-6631-4B4E-8B69-92514E93F9EC.jpeg

These are my Rouen pekin mixed ducklings that just hatched. I also have a pair of white call ducks in with them but I have never seen them breed.
I believe 1/2 of them have a Rouen mom and a pekin dad, while the other 1/2 have a pekin mom and a Rouen dad.

View attachment 2608604

These are my Rouen pekin mixed ducklings that just hatched. I also have a pair of white call ducks in with them but I have never seen them breed.
I believe 1/2 of them have a Rouen mom and a pekin dad, while the other 1/2 have a pekin mom and a Rouen dad.
Hi. I had a duckling Rouen mom and Pékin dad. When grew up he looks exactly like Rouen drake. But I think he is sterile, because none of the eggs from my hens now develop or hatch. I had to rehome my Pékin drakes because they were too rough on my females. He is the only drake now and no ducklings :(

Hi, Kelly,
I have a pekin hen & rouen drake and I hatched 9 eggs in my incubator. They look more like rouens with wierd white striping around the neck (developing/showing later in the drakes) and all have wierd white feathers around the colored rouen wing feathers. The weird white feathering is how I find my one full-rouen hen as she doesn't have those white feathers. I call them wierd because they look out of place/different coloring - they're not really wierd as in sticking out funny or anything. You can't tell which are female or male by looking at them until about 3 months old when the drake green head coloring shows up. The babies are substantially bigger than the rouen dad @ 3 months but smaller than the Pekin hen (but not by much.) The females are really loud like the Pekin (maybe even louder?) I don't have any closeup pictures, sorry.
Elaine

Back
Top Bottom