Pekin with symptoms of niacin deficiency even with consistent supplementation. Please advise!

Make sure you have a proper duckling food. If you are already using the liquid vitamin B complex you are on the right track. Make sure he gets at least 1 ml per day and consumes it all. If they get extra it's alright, their body won't absorb it. If the legs are spreading apart he might have splay leg. You can research that. I had a pekin who developed it as a baby. The way I cured it was to make a little splint with vet wrap, wrapping a little piece around each leg, then a bigger loop that went around the leg wraps and pulled the legs into proper position. This is very important if the duck truly has splay leg or they will develop improperly and the duck could be lame. Also, make sure they are on a no-slip surface like towels or something that is easy to walk on. It's important that your duck gets exercise but doesn't have to overdo it as his legs get stronger. I let my pekin have bathtub swim time a couple times a day for maybe 15 minutes to build leg strength. Her legs were initially so weak I had to support her body as she preened herself. With the hobbles and vitamins she eventually got strong and was able to get around just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    919.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 7
I had my girl in hobbles for a few weeks, until she was strong enough to walk on her own and her legs were fairly developed. I think I removed them for swimming...can't fully remember, but I know I changed them fairly often. The first few times you do it it might help you to have someone hold her body up in standing position while you place the vet wrap - and make sure it's not too tight on the legs so you cut off circulation or anything. Also I kept up the vitamins for a couple months, then just switched to brewer's yeast.

Back
Top Bottom