Pen bedding?

bsshog40

Chirping
May 3, 2024
Omaha, Tx.
So of course our chickens have turned their grassy pen to dirt now. We use pine shavings for their coop but I was wondering if we should add some to their pen/run. They have a small pen area built under the prefab coop and they like to lay under there once in a while. The pen is a 10'x10' area and was wondering if I should put some pine shavings somewhere in the run? Not wanting to cover the whole area but maybe just a partial. We do get some breezy days once in a while which will probably blow some of it out but that's not a big deal. Any suggestions? Leave bare or use shavings? Heres our coop/run pen.
20240506_080800.jpg

So of course our chickens have turned their grassy pen to dirt now. We use pine shavings for their coop but I was wondering if we should add some to their pen/run. They have a small pen area built under the prefab coop and they like to lay under there once in a while. The pen is a 10'x10' area and was wondering if I should put some pine shavings somewhere in the run? Not wanting to cover the whole area but maybe just a partial. We do get some breezy days once in a while which will probably blow some of it out but that's not a big deal. Any suggestions? Leave bare or use shavings? Heres our coop/run pen.
View attachment 3830406
I would add the wood shavings, helps with drainage.

Any suggestions? Leave bare or use shavings?
Bare ground is breeding ground for bad bacteria and nothing to invite good microbes to the party.. don't do that.

Shavings quickly decompose and turn into dirt themselves.

Sand is also popular ON PAPER but quickly becomes a chicken litter box that stinks to high heaven EVEN when poops are sifted out.. all the dried up poo juice stays behind.

Many folks like to use large chunk bark.. or chips from tree trimming companies. (aged is preffered over fresh)

I aim for the forest floor mulch type situation.. with a combination of leaves. grass, bark, shavings, etc.

It needs to be more than one material.. like hay or stray.. because they compact together and rott.

Your environment is a lot drier and hotter than mine.. but these are the experiences I can share.

I just got a wood chipper and I've been chipping branches all over the place, it's really the perfect run material. I use chopped straw inside my coop to keep mistakes off of my wood flooring but outdoors where it can get soggy, straw and hay just make a gross mess. Stick with woodchips or a mixture of woodchips and sand is my advice.

I don't have a chipper or a sawmill close to us. I think I'll check our big box stores for some bark mix. Should I do the whole run or just a partial area?

Back
Top Bottom