Pendulous crop and chicken bra advice needed

Rugbygainz

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2018
hello,
recently my orpington had sour crop which we sadly found quite late. After a mixture of Baytril, flagyl, and nystatin for 10 days however, she mad a recovery. Her crop however, is very pendulous. Our vet said we have to cull her if we do not perform a surgery, but i would much rather attempt to help her and see if a bra will work before culling her.

I have made one today, which was very difficult as she is a very large chicken. It has pushed her crop up and it is no longer dangling under her. The bra is not too tight and it sitting on the bottom of the crop.

My question is, could anyone tell me where support is needed most? That way I can make a new and improved one as this one was a quick solution.

For anyone that has a hen with sour crop that needs advice on a cure feel free to message me as I have had a lot of experience with this with several chickens.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might be of help.

Kudos for realizing you can solve this problem non-surgically with a little ingenuity.

The best way to tell if you've got the crop supported adequately is to monitor the crop over a 24 hour period. Watch her while she eats and afterward. If she starts in on the snake movements with her neck, the bra is too tight.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats. If the crop is still full or not completely empty, the bra is not giving adequate support, and needs adjusting.

Every chicken is different, so designing a bra for your hen is going to ultimately give her very good results. It may require a week of trial and error, but you'll get it right and she'll have a comfortable life. Certainly no need to cull.

Kudos for realizing you can solve this problem non-surgically with a little ingenuity.

The best way to tell if you've got the crop supported adequately is to monitor the crop over a 24 hour period. Watch her while she eats and afterward. If she starts in on the snake movements with her neck, the bra is too tight.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats. If the crop is still full or not completely empty, the bra is not giving adequate support, and needs adjusting.

Every chicken is different, so designing a bra for your hen is going to ultimately give her very good results. It may require a week of trial and error, but you'll get it right and she'll have a comfortable life. Certainly no need to cull.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I will definitely follow your advice. This was very helpful.

I, too, have noticed a little too late that my girl, Marilyn, has a very pendulous crop. I need to make a crop bra, but do not know where to begin. Culling her is not an option, as we love her too much to not try all other options.
Would you be so kind as to let me know how your crop bra is designed, and how your chicken is doing with your method?

Thank you ...

P1010013.JPG
P1010012.JPG
Take a four or five inch square piece of sturdy, elastic material glued or stitched to elastic straps such as ACE bandage or Vet wrap that are around twelve inches long. The straps go behind the wings and over the back of the head to keep it in place.

Adjust the pressure on the crop by monitoring how successful it is at helping the crop to empty. If the crop does not empty by morning, the bra should be adjusted to offer more support. Keep adjusting until the crop empties by each morning.

Last edited:
Hello! Which brand of the Nystatin did you buy? My BCM has this issue, she eats and drinks normally, but the crop keeps on ballooning every single time. Can you please list of medication I can buy over the counter, also the dosage? Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom