Penis prolapse

Well, I certainly never thought I would need a thread like this.
:eek:
A Drake Muscovy got into our garage (we feed about 5 of them in the am) the other day and my dog just happened to be there and grabbed him near the backend. When he got free I noticed his penis out and after about 6 days now it's still out. Yesterday I noticed it was a little darker red/pink than it first was, and of course a little more dry.
I had no idea you could cut it off! How in the world would you do that? Wouldn't they bleed out?
Also, do you (anybody) think if I captured him and put him in our outdoor pen (8x12) that he would get depressed and get more ill instead of letting him try to heal on his own?
That's not going to heal on its own, that's way out and since it's been a number of days without going back in...
I am not an expert on this (my lady ducks can testify that we have never needed to study it in depth), but to me it looks like the tissue is mostly okay. Usually when it gets infected/the tissue dies, it starts getting very dark and black, which is the point where amputation is necessary.

It's absolutely crucial that you keep him away from the other ducks so they cannot peck at it, and keep it moist and clean. If you have nothing else, vaseline would work.
I'm not sure what next steps you'd have to take, but this prolapse is likely going to need hands on treatment to get it back where it should be. Hopefully someone can advise on this

Do you have access to a vet?

Thank you Beloved! He doesn't go around any other ducks and they don't bother him. He is all messed up. He only has half an upper bill due to the fact that something bit it off when he was smaller. Then, my neighbors dog got a hold of him and broke his wing. It just dangles. I've tried to wrap it up to hold it in place but he uses his foot to just pull it off. That's been about a month or two ago.
Then, the other day he walked into our garage and our dog grabbed him. He's a complete mess.

This is not a pet duck but a Muscovy that has lived in the neighborhood for the last year.

Thank you Beloved! He doesn't go around any other ducks and they don't bother him. He is all messed up. He only has half an upper bill due to the fact that something bit it off when he was smaller. Then, my neighbors dog got a hold of him and broke his wing. It just dangles. I've tried to wrap it up to hold it in place but he uses his foot to just pull it off. That's been about a month or two ago.
Then, the other day he walked into our garage and our dog grabbed him. He's a complete mess.

This is not a pet duck but a Muscovy that has lived in the neighborhood for the last year.
Poor guy
Ah okay, that makes the situation a little harder, with him being wild.
Let me @ruthhope who is more knowledgeable on muscovies etc.

Well, I certainly never thought I would need a thread like this.
:eek:
A Drake Muscovy got into our garage (we feed about 5 of them in the am) the other day and my dog just happened to be there and grabbed him near the backend. When he got free I noticed his penis out and after about 6 days now it's still out. Yesterday I noticed it was a little darker red/pink than it first was, and of course a little more dry.
I had no idea you could cut it off! How in the world would you do that? Wouldn't they bleed out?
Also, do you (anybody) think if I captured him and put him in our outdoor pen (8x12) that he would get depressed and get more ill instead of letting him try to heal on his own?
@casportpony can you advise?

Back
Top Bottom