Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

where are the bubbles coming from? its beak or egg, are the bubbles yellow orange green ? PICS are always helpful when asking for help too
is it peeping at the location of the hole?

If you need help tonight you should post in the incubating threads and ask for help, the west coast will be online for a while yet, but I gotta head to bed, kids coming early tomorrow again!

Good Luck and I hope she is ok!
The bubbles were coming from inside the shell right at the beak. The color is yellowish. When it first piped I saw a speck of blood. I have lowered the humidity, she seems some what glued up, but her beak is exposed and she is breathing with an occasional peep. If she is sick, should I move the hatched peeps to their brooder as a just in case?? They are only a few hrs old and are still wet looking.
Regarding sending pictures...I have tried, but without results.

Quote: ok on the pics, without I am not sure I can help you other than to say she may have broken her yolk sack. please refer to the assist article in my signature below, also scroll to the bottom of that same article and you will see a link to the ARTICLE OF YOLK, a chick that ruptured and made it, I think I put two stories in the article. I wish you the best, and again, you may need to start a thread in the incubating section, most info regarding assisting and umbilical/yolk care is in the assist article.
fl.gif

A. Duck (she's a year old) has laid several times. Her MO is lay for 5 days, stop for 2 weeks, lay for 5 days, stop entirely! Drake, well, obviously he's a drake, and well..unless he's gay, the other 2 are girls!
B. Which Schaefferstown Festival? Cherry Blossom??? I swear I never saw chickens at it when I lived there!
C. Does he sell chicks/do you want to hatch for me, as I don't have a bator?

A. Sounds like you need some runner ducks!
B. We've seen them at the Cherry Fair, but I think he goes to Fall Festival also. They are usually in a cage to the right of the farmhouse.
C. I'm not sure if he sells chicks. (Swatara - do you know??) Both bators are full of goose eggs right now...
fl.gif

Last edited:
My uncle and I have decided on Marans this year ... hoping to get black/copper, blue, and have already ordered 3 cuckoo. Peeps are due from a friend of his at the end of April ... I CANNOT WAIT!! Good thing we are waiting a bit, anyway ... the guys were supposed to have the heat done in the house a week (or two) ago and decided to replace the oil tanks last-minute. So, house can't be finished until the heat is in ... and still I'm waiting!

If you don't mind me asking,,, where are you getting your MARANS ???

Ok, I can't find my blue pen.

I have OE Hatching Eggs, MF Cochin Hatching Eggs, and Black Copper Marans hatching eggs. I won't have BCM eggs for much longer as my roo's name is 'soup'.

I'd be interested in some eggs and possibly the "soup" Roo,,, always like the look of him in his photos !!!

So i was reading the forum about how to deal with hawks (I believe Sally had posted it) We have always enjoyed watching the hawks that nest on our property. Usually at least one pair a year along with theur young. So by late summer we have a good bit of hawks flying around. Never had much problem other than them trying to eat the birds at my birdfeeder once or twice. The corws and buzards seem to help. Even seen an eagle or two around. My run will be completely fenced, but i DO want to free range when i am home. WE have a large pasture that is half open field half woods and brush. I know some losses happen. Just nature taking it's corse unfortunaly. Like the 3 lambs we lost this year. It just happens on a farm. However, that doesn't mean i am not going to do what ever i can to protect m birds. :) I really don't like gunieas. I mean REALLY. The only one i was around was mean and chased me. BUT, would keeping ONE gunie hen with my flock be ok? Would it be a better protection than just the 2 roos?

GUINEAS definitely help with predators ! Not that they attack or defend,,,, they ALARM when they see something to worry about. I have many and free range about 6 to 8, there is always a "look-out" for danger, they sound off an alarm sound and everyone else pops their heads up to see what might be coming and head for cover, even the chickens learn this behavior. There is still an occassional loss, but I like them as guards.

Word of caution; you have to be able to deal with the noise they make, they are NOT quiet birds ! The other advantage is that they LOVE eating bugs, especially ticks.

does anyone have any thoughts on different breeds of chicks? I like the silkie and the polish cause of their crazy hair dosss.. but the more and more i am no here the more and more i dont want to wait another two weeks to geth the silkies and polishes when they come in... and thoughts ?

There are many breeds for many reasons,,,, doing a little homework before you decide can save you alot of trouble later on.
Some breeds don't do well confined, others don't do well free-ranged; example, polish can't see predators coming because of their fancy feathered heads ! Other breeds may be more territorial and become more aggressive to each other when kept in close quarters.

And, there is always the egg production end of things,, and the maturing rate. Some larger fowl may not lay until they are much older, and may not lay as many or on as regular a basis as "egg production" breeds and crosses.

A newbie egg question. Do some breeds of chickens make better tasting eggs?

Some say that Marans eggs are the "gourmet" of eggs,,, chefs like using them. Diet is definitely the determining factor in the color and taste of an egg. That's why backyard chicken's eggs have a better yolk color and better taste than a store bought "egg-factory" egg.

Hi Ray nice to see you!! Do you know if the sale at green dragon is normal on Good Friday? Can't get there with some birds this week but old next and didn't know what they did during holidays and I thought you just might know!!

Heather, I am worried about this also. We have a large cage that I built, it has 2 levels. I had the " family" of piggies on the top and the 2 older females that were given to me on the bottom level. Now that Peanut is all alone I decided to section off the top level and move her up with the others, they can see each other and get nose to nose, but can't get into the other side. I'm hoping it does her some good to see the other three, I may even take the divider out eventually if they can get along, but we will have to wait and see what happens. I had tried to mix them a year or so ago and all they did was fight, so I figured this way they can see and smell each other for now, we'll see what happens.... She's at least 6 years old so I imagine her time left is short, but I don't want her to be lonely.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, perhaps this will work for her! Good luck!

Thanks guys,,,I really hadn't thought about quitting, It just slowly happened.....changed shifts and really do not care to hang out with those I work with now, so I do not bother smoking at work....got to the point that I can go 10 to 12 hours at work and not give it a second thought, so my mind says why not just quit.....I am more of a boredom smoker though,,,hands need something to do...
hu.gif
and at the price, think about all the chicken feed that would buy..told my adult daughter who smokes and lives with me that I am not buying anymore......
Sally. how about quitting at 50, damnnn.can't believe I said that...

You can do it! I don't like the smell anymore. I do like pipe smoke though. I never smoked tobacco out of one, don't like cigars either. I did like clove ciggies. I had a Cuban cigar when I was on a cruise. Holy crappola, that thing made my head spin! I had to go to bed 1/4 of the way through it. It was also the sea sickness and wine!

Back
Top Bottom