Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I
Quote: brandy we had a hen with bumblefoot and did the surgery, I am not sure if you are up to doing the surgery or not. Its pretty much the same procedure every site you look on, you need to soak the foot Epson salt clean well with betadine, use a scalpel or we used an exacto sterile, and sliced around the spot in a circle and then pulled the "plug" off" and then squeezed like the dickens and WHERE SAFETY GLASSES, bubblefoot is STAPH INFECTION from a splinter of some sort. If you have a mask to protect yourself all the better, we had pcs of hard infection fly out of her foot, was nasty to say the least, don't be afraid to hurt them, our hen hardly said a word just laid there. when you are sure you have all the nuggets and strings of infection out, pack the whole with veterycin spray gel (TSC) carries it, then you will need to bandage it with gauze pads and that veti wrap or that medical rap they put on us after drawing blood. Everyday you need to soak in warm Epsom for at least 20 minutes repack redress. KEEP HER in a crate away from others, ITS STAPH. you will have to do this for almost a week. keep it dressed until it heals over and is closed. sometimes if you don't get it all out you need to do a second surgery, so make sure you do your best to get it all out the first time, take your time and don't panic just get it done and you have to SQUEEZE hard to get the small stuff out. sounds gross but I have had to do worse! If you need anything please PM me I don't get on here much. do a bumblefoot search on byc there is a gal who posted some awesome images as did the chicken chick she is on here and her own blog. She is awesome too so don't hesitate to send her a message via byc! Good Luck with your girl!

I WILL ADD that being that I had Osteomylitic in my left foot bone (staph) and knowing the pain from this infection, I can tell you how much relief this hen will feel when it is lanced! I was actually banging my head against the wall in the clinic, no I seriously was insane with pain my DH had to hold my head, and as soon as they cut it I was flooded with relief, it still hurt but not enough to make me hurt myself anymore. I had three surgeries since for the same infection, its not an easy one that's for sure and I live with an extremely weak immune system due to it getting into my blood and body. You will have to decide at some point how much you can let him go through because it hurts really bad to have it.

Last edited:
I hope you'll find out what you need to, there are some very knowledgeable people on here.
brandy we had a hen with bumblefoot and did the surgery, I am not sure if you are up to doing the surgery or not. Its pretty much the same procedure every site you look on, you need to soak the foot Epson salt clean well with betadine, use a scalpel or we used an exacto sterile, and sliced around the spot in a circle and then pulled the "plug" off" and then squeezed like the dickens and WHERE SAFETY GLASSES, bubblefoot is STAPH INFECTION from a splinter of some sort. If you have a mask to protect yourself all the better, we had pcs of hard infection fly out of her foot, was nasty to say the least, don't be afraid to hurt them, our hen hardly said a word just laid there. when you are sure you have all the nuggets and strings of infection out, pack the whole with veterycin spray gel (TSC) carries it, then you will need to bandage it with gauze pads and that veti wrap or that medical rap they put on us after drawing blood. Everyday you need to soak in warm Epsom for at least 20 minutes repack redress. KEEP HER in a crate away from others, ITS STAPH. you will have to do this for almost a week. keep it dressed until it heals over and is closed. sometimes if you don't get it all out you need to do a second surgery, so make sure you do your best to get it all out the first time, take your time and don't panic just get it done and you have to SQUEEZE hard to get the small stuff out. sounds gross but I have had to do worse! If you need anything please PM me I don't get on here much. do a bumblefoot search on byc there is a gal who posted some awesome images as did the chicken chick she is on here and her own blog. She is awesome too so don't hesitate to send her a message via byc! Good Luck with your girl!

I WILL ADD that being that I had Osteomylitic in my left foot bone (staph) and knowing the pain from this infection, I can tell you how much relief this hen will feel when it is lanced! I was actually banging my head against the wall in the clinic, no I seriously was insane with pain my DH had to hold my head, and as soon as they cut it I was flooded with relief, it still hurt but not enough to make me hurt myself anymore. I had three surgeries since for the same infection, its not an easy one that's for sure and I live with an extremely weak immune system due to it getting into my blood and body. You will have to decide at some point how much you can let him go through because it hurts really bad to have it.
See ^^^
smile.png

Sally: Ouch, I know how much the MRSA abscesses hurt on/in the skin, I can't imagine the pain of an abscess/infection on the bone.
I've been reading about the bumble foot (just to learn so I can recognize it if it ever happens) and it sounds exactly like a MRSA abscess (or at least the ones I had) as far as the pressure needed, the bits you need to get, and the way it needs to lanced and packed...
Oh and I love your coop on the home page, they are awesome
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Thank you, sorry you had that crud, nasty stuff. I wouldn't wish it on anyone EVER! I almost lost my life and I am thankful I was still strong enough to take such a hit.

I suggest that everyone who has chickens reminds themselves to get dirty some times and pick each one up and look the bird over for routine examination, I know some have huge flocks but its important to catch issues as quick as possible, I wrote this and added it to the Vent Gleet article, its a good thing to keep in mind.....

Did you know that Birds will attempt to hide their illness? A survival tactic, as predators may be more likely to target an obviously
unfit individual. A bird which appears bright and alert when being watched may become huddled and fluffed up when it thinks
it is unobserved,
so observe wisely!

Physical examination of bird/s should be a part of routine disease control, monthly health checks and always quarantine/complete examination of new birds.

Thank you, sorry you had that crud, nasty stuff. I wouldn't wish it on anyone EVER! I almost lost my life and I am thankful I was still strong enough to take such a hit.

I suggest that everyone who has chickens reminds themselves to get dirty some times and pick each one up and look the bird over for routine examination, I know some have huge flocks but its important to catch issues as quick as possible, I wrote this and added it to the Vent Gleet article, its a good thing to keep in mind.....

Did you know that Birds will attempt to hide their illness? A survival tactic, as predators may be more likely to target an obviously
unfit individual. A bird which appears bright and alert when being watched may become huddled and fluffed up when it thinks
it is unobserved,
so observe wisely!

Physical examination of bird/s should be a part of routine disease control, monthly health checks and always quarantine/complete examination of new birds.

I'm so impatient and it's hard...and then I read a horror story and check them again (and again and again).

The classes that Chad set up were priceless. Not only did you get your classroom portion of the CPT course done, but you got lectures from both Dr. Nan Hanshaw and Dr. Greg Martin. They also took questions. For Free.

The way I understood Pennsylvania's NPIP program was that your poultry could have no exposure to wild birds. Which would mean no Free Range, unless you can figure a way to cover your whole yard, and keep the wild birds off your soil.

Unrelated, but very interesting. Is this legit? This happened in April of 2012, did any of you hear of it? I didn't.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...chicken-farm-ag-industry-disputes-claims.html

Yeah...that will never do. I free range because I want that quality of eggs for my daughter...and I'm on a farm, so it just makes sense to do that.
I'll see if Dr. Hanshaw answers my questions because a search online didn't give me much of anything. Interesting, though, from what I was reading by posters, was that they want everyone to do it so they can control disease. But then...the government idea of what's best doesn't usually align with my ideas...hence the reason I grow my own.
big_smile.png

Ok I heard back from Hink JC (http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/).

Jody replied and said that they don't ship chicks BUT, "I have a small hatch of lav Araucana chicks that just started hatching. If you're interested they are $8 each. Several of my girls seem to be going broody on me, so not sure how much in eggs to expect right now. I can see what happens and let you know on those. Let me know if you'd be interested in the chicks when they're ready. Thanks."

I couldn't remember who was asking and have a very demanding 3 year old who wants to go play...so I can't look it up.
tongue.png

Sally is very right, some have flocks that are just to large to spot check each one....if it helps anyone here is what I do.....(75 plus birds)....
every sat night right around dark ususally a little after I will drop hubby off at the VFW this is perfect me time and I spend about an hour of it with the birds,,,since it is dark I can walk right in and pick up whoever I want,,,I will check over a couple of birds each week...I never get all of them but this gives me a goood idea of what's going on.....Since I am working with flashlight I also check nest boxes at this time,,,,figure if mites were present I would find them this way.

This is the 1 good reason of not living on the farm.....if I did not have to drive home I would most likely sit out there and drink at this time....then I would be compared with chad drinking on a bucket in the run

Thank you, sorry you had that crud, nasty stuff. I wouldn't wish it on anyone EVER! I almost lost my life and I am thankful I was still strong enough to take such a hit.

it is unobserved,
so observe wisely!

Mine was a royal pain in the dupa I had 30 abscesses over a 2 year period, most likely picked it up at work (was working at an E.R. at the time). They put me on Doxy AND Bacterium for 6 months, and thankfully haven't had one since. Six months of antibiotics was a bit of a pain, but far better than having the abscesses.
I love that you remind us of that, seriously no sarcasm intended, thank you. We check ours after they've gone to roost each night and check them again before they go out in the morning. Let me rephrase that: I check them, Gavin is usually asleep. I check combs, wattles, noses, beaks/mouths, hinnies, and feet/legs but I have a lot of free time with the my health issues. I also check the poo in the litter pan/poo board every morning, since they're almost completely free range I worry a lot about cocci.
Yeah...that will never do. I free range because I want that quality of eggs for my daughter...and I'm on a farm, so it just makes sense to do that.
I'll see if Dr. Hanshaw answers my questions because a search online didn't give me much of anything. Interesting, though, from what I was reading by posters, was that they want everyone to do it so they can control disease. But then...the government idea of what's best doesn't usually align with my ideas...hence the reason I grow my own.
big_smile.png
Wish I could grow more of our own food. So far its only the chickens, the eventual eggs, and what fruit/veggies we can grow. Thankfully we have tons of wild berries that grow and ripen at different times. I want to get a steer each spring for butcher the following year and a doe or two or maybe and alpaca or llama (I've read their milk is similar to goat milk) and a pony or two. The problem is the funds, hopefully that will be resolved soon...

Sally is very right, some have flocks that are just to large to spot check each one....if it helps anyone here is what I do.....(75 plus birds)....
every sat night right around dark ususally a little after I will drop hubby off at the VFW this is perfect me time and I spend about an hour of it with the birds,,,since it is dark I can walk right in and pick up whoever I want,,,I will check over a couple of birds each week...I never get all of them but this gives me a goood idea of what's going on.....Since I am working with flashlight I also check nest boxes at this time,,,,figure if mites were present I would find them this way.

This is the 1 good reason of not living on the farm.....if I did not have to drive home I would most likely sit out there and drink at this time....then I would be compared with chad drinking on a bucket in the run
LOL, I shouldn't laugh I've had an early cocktail or two while sitting out with the birds... I think I have more animals that try to get in my drinks than should be possible... Sonya the lab will drink beer, and fruity mixed drinks; Ginger will drink beer and gin and tonics; the cats drink white russians and mudslides, or anything mixed with milk/cream; and the birds have tried to get at beer, fruity wines and mixed drinks.

Back
Top Bottom