Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Say a neighbor of mine "makes" a corn/grain based alcoholic beverage. After he has processed his corn/grain, he asked me if I wanted it for my birds. Would this be safe to feed to my birds?

Say a neighbor of mine "makes" a corn/grain based alcoholic beverage. After he has processed his corn/grain, he asked me if I wanted it for my birds. Would this be safe to feed to my birds?

If the grain itself has been fermented into alcohol, I would be cautious. I would think it could be rinsed to remove the alcohol. Worst case, add it to your compost pile.

I hatch my own now that I have breeding groups of birds that are of the quality I want to keep. I struggle to keep my Cochins and brahmas laying as they are always wanting to go broody. Sometimes it drives me nuts breaking them bc I don't want any more chicks:)
I have one Cochin hen who just wants to be a mom all the time has had 2 hatches already this year and now wants to be broody again!! Ahhhh what will I do with her!!
[COLOR=0000FF]Some eye candy. These cuties make me smile.[/COLOR]
Blarney they are beautiful, love the whiter one! Have you noticed that the MF hens seem to have larger combs? I only have one who doesn't and I'm hoping to try to wean out the larger comb ones, just don't want to get rid of any yet!
So the Cochin bantams are growing on me... I was thinking of adding one so my Banty silkie will have a friend. I am afraid she will get beat up in the big girl coop. Will any one have any come fall? She is raising babies for me right now so I want to wait till fall to give her a friend. Is it a bad idea to put a silkie and Cochin together? Beeing they both seem to be broody more often than not? My barred rock and Easter egger hens are evil to new birds. Silkie is fiesty but small, and I don't want her to get hurt. Oh and I have an extra cream legbar cockerel. A little over a week old. From green fire lines. If any one wants him let me know. :)
Bantam Cochins are great, I absolutely love them and I think a lot of others on here would agree!! Can't go wrong with them :)

Had some info on where to buy Cornish chicks local and now I can't find the info. There's a hatchery somewhere not too far from here. Anybody know? Would like to start my next batch of meat birds.

Thought I would ask one last time I have some White Frizzel Bantam Cochin roosters that will be heading to green dragon on Friday! If you are interested pm me and we could set up something, they need to go ASAP and I'd love to find them a good home but I can't keep all of them much longer also have a blue/buff mixed bantam Cochin rooster too!! So just pm me if interested!! Thanks

If the grain itself has been fermented into alcohol, I would be cautious. I would think it could be rinsed to remove the alcohol. Worst case, add it to your compost pile.

I think the alcohol is distilled off....I'd think it be ok to feed anything....(alcohol evaporates around 170....water is 212...)

Sally is very right, some have flocks that are just to large to spot check each one....if it helps anyone here is what I do.....(75 plus birds)....
every sat night right around dark ususally a little after I will drop hubby off at the VFW this is perfect me time and I spend about an hour of it with the birds,,,since it is dark I can walk right in and pick up whoever I want,,,I will check over a couple of birds each week...I never get all of them but this gives me a goood idea of what's going on.....Since I am working with flashlight I also check nest boxes at this time,,,,figure if mites were present I would find them this way.

This is the 1 good reason of not living on the farm.....if I did not have to drive home I would most likely sit out there and drink at this time....then I would be compared with chad drinking on a bucket in the run

Wait...I thought we were all sitting on buckets in our coops drinking wine...

And Wing, you can't possibly eat this...it's Way Too Cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom