Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Did you mean Cornish, as in just heritage Cornish chickens, or do you mean the Cornish X meat birds? If you have a lead on the heritage white Cornish please let me know, I would love to have a few of them!!!
I sure will. For me, I don't have a preference. Just did my first batch of Cornish and thought I would start the next round. Up til now, I have been doing a cobb mix breed, so I am interested to see how different a Cornish will be. Will surely let you know if I find any!!! And if I have to order, do you wanna split with me? I don't like doing a whole lot at a time. I like having plenty of room in my coop for them and keeping them comfortable, not crammed.

I know your pain, I had home nursing for 6 months, I had a pic line with vancomycin I had to give myself via IV for 16 weeks and each day they would come take my blood and check vitals and my arm and feet. I had to go back to work and they were upset with me, I cut a mens tube sock off and pulled it up over my site for work and gave my ball of IV at lunch time. I was nuts but I just had a divorce and was on my own with a mortgage, but it was winter so at the time all I had to do was work on sharpening and grinding all the mower blades for the country club. The machine did the work and I watched it!

I am always sitting with the girls, but OMG I cant right now, this rain has made a muddy OMGAWD nasty smelling run that I even added garden lime for the smell! So they wont get checked until they "unstink" its just my layer pen the others are not bad. Smell makes me gag! I am worried about cocci with this wet grossness too, I actually started adding amprolium to waterers just in case and I am not one to run to medicine without cause. But my gut told me to start so I did!
I haven't been able to get the stone I want yet, but I put pine shavings into my grow out run. It's the only run I have, but it was so darn muddy and stunk to high heaven. The pine helped, but I really want to get the stone. I'm just not sure if I should get pea stone or something larger since it's a grow out pen. I also need to figure out a way to put a very low roost into the dog coop. Since most of them are so small I'm thinking just a 2x2 mounted to the sides. Which reminds me I need to build a lower roost in the main coop too, and get started on the nesting boxes soon... ETA: I have changed the pine out twice this week to prevent mold and mildew in the pen.
The only large/grown bird in there is Roo, she seems to prefer sticking with youngsters and has acted a bit like a mother hen with them even though they definitely are not her's. It's so cute during the thunderstorms the chicks all huddle right up against, under and on her in the converted dog coop, and all you can see is her head which is so watchful. She even pecked me when I was doing the nightly check the other night. That's the first time she's ever pecked me.
Oooo, is that a golden pheasant?

Last edited:
I sure will. For me, I don't have a preference. Just did my first batch of Cornish and thought I would start the next round. Up til now, I have been doing a cobb mix breed, so I am interested to see how different a Cornish will be. Will surely let you know if I find any!!! And if I have to order, do you wanna split with me? I don't like doing a whole lot at a time. I like having plenty of room in my coop for them and keeping them comfortable, not crammed.
I would love to split an order, but unfortunately you are about a 4 hr drive! LOL and we won't be doing more meaties till probably very early next spring. So can't do that now.
We have 14 chicks right now which need to grow out and most if not all of those who are roos will be going to freezer camp, so that should give us enough to finish out the year.

The Heritage Cornish I want to get aren't the meat birds commonly sold. The meaties are Cornish Crosses... (Cornish x White Rock) and have been selectively bred for many, many years to be 'super growers'
The Heritage Cornish don't grow nearly as fast, but through my research I have really liked what I have learned of the breed itself and they tend to be broodies, which for us is a perfect fit. We can enjoy hatching out our own 'mutts' and the extra roos who need to go away will have decent meat on them. We would still do the Cornish X birds once a year or so to get our whole roaster birds though.

LOVING your pics, now what is going on in that second one? You got an oak tree growing inside a structure? Or did you cut a branch and put it there?

HAPPY 4th of July!!!

Going to get my chores done and head to the parade! Hope everyone has a great day.
The tree that fell 2 days ago I threw one of the branches in there for them to play with LOL

Is it black or blue? When it's especially hot out, chickens run a lot of bloodflow through their combs during the summer because the thin skin allows the blood to cool easily. Sometimes when the concentration of blood in the comb is high or the blood is low in oxygen, the comb can appear a darker red or even a blue or blackish, especially towards the back of the comb. Of course, it's easier to see things like this in birds with big tall single combs like your rooster or mediterranean breeds like Leghorns. Things like this are no big deal, but there's always the off chance that the discoloration is due to illness, so keep an eye on him to make sure he's acting normally
smile.png

Yup! Chickens can get both Dry pox and Wet pox. Both originate from the same virus strain, but it's considered wet pox when the warts are in the bird's mouth or upper respiratory tract. Pox is a virus and has no definite treatment and takes a very long time to go away. It's hard to prevent it due to the fact that it is transferred via parasitic insects like mosquitoes, but I believe there is a vaccine for fowl pox? I'm not sure. I personally haven't seen it in the immediate area or had it in my flock...

I suppose it could be dark blue...I'll check it next time it happens. If it's weather related, that might be today since it's so hot!
It is toward the back of the comb. Not the whole thing, just a small section mostly near the tips on the back. He's had it for months and doesn't seem to be bothered by it. He hasn't changed. Same old sweetheart looking for treats for his ladies.
[thanks]

Last edited:
Quote: I have a project going right now....
remember the 2 delaware roosters that i had last summer,,,well I left them in with some older freedom ranger hens that were starting to lay,,then I turned and hatched all of those eggs....it was a bad hatch of only 3 out of 12,,,,and they were all roo's.....we butchered 1 at 8 weeks and 1 at 12 weeks,,,they were up there in weight for the ages,,,,I still have 1 of these roo's and since he is a litlle heavy for some of my hen's I was gonna send him to camp,,,hubby wants to keep and move him next week snce i will have an empty pen then,,,,I will be picking out a few of the larger hen's, haven't decided what yet, to put in with him and see what hatches from those.....can keep you posted on how this goes,,,,let me know if ou are interested in pics of the roo and whatever hen we put with him..

found a pic,,,,,this is 1 of the roo's at 11 weeks

Last edited:
I have a project going right now....
remember the 2 delaware roosters that i had last summer,,,well I left them in with some older freedom ranger hens that were starting to lay,,then I turned and hatched all of those eggs....it was a bad hatch of only 3 out of 12,,,,and they were all roo's.....we butchered 1 at 8 weeks and 1 at 12 weeks,,,they were up there in weight for the ages,,,,I still have 1 of these roo's and since he is a litlle heavy for some of my hen's I was gonna send him to camp,,,hubby wants to keep and move him next week snce i will have an empty pen then,,,,I will be picking out a few of the larger hen's, haven't decided what yet, to put in with him and see what hatches from those.....can keep you posted on how this goes,,,,let me know if ou are interested in pics of the roo and whatever hen we put with him..
Absolutely! This is what we are heading for.... just an enjoyable flock of bug patrol birds who provide decent eggs and have good weight on them for freezer camp. Of course the 3 breeds I am most interested in experimenting with are hard to find locally or are the hatchery birds (who are often OK, but may lack the broodieness meatieness that I want for my base stock) There is no 'rush' but I eventually will find my Cornish, Dorking and White Rock stock. Our Barred Rock roos from hatchery stock were good, but not great, for meat quality at 18-20 wks, (taste was great, but breat meat was certainly lacking) and I'd like to be able to cull out the extra roos at 14 to 16 wks if possible so we don't have as many weeks of crowing competitions

LOVING your pics, now what is going on in that second one? You got an oak tree growing inside a structure? Or did you cut a branch and put it there?

HAPPY 4th of July!!!

Going to get my chores done and head to the parade! Hope everyone has a great day.

x2, but I'm going to the dog park not the parade.....

Back
Top Bottom