Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Oh I forgot to add I would do the Cornish X Rocks again, but I would only do them in the winter as all they do is eat poop and sleep and when I say POOP I mean poop... ALOT, so I would beat if you did them in the spring/summer the smell would be awful or you would be cleaning that pen twice a weeks atleast.
Yep, cool or cold weather is definitely better for the smell... and the CornishX don't seem to fare too well in high heat and humidity of summer anyway, so why risk more dying of heart failure if you can avoid it.
If you are looking for a good dual purpose breed you might want to check out Buckeyes. Great dual purpose and are cold weather hardy and also they handle hot weather very well. Breed is also very gentle and will follow you around.

Here is a pic of what a Cock would look like.

Beautiful bird! Do you breed for show or just backyard pleasure? Do you often have hatching eggs available for sale? I have a hen who likes to go broody at odd times so would be great to be able to grab 6 or 8 eggs from a fellow like that!

at 6 months he is the biggest rooster I got....a leghorn hen just kind of disappears under him.
with you on this one,,,afraid My opinions would come off as really cold hearted ...being raised with this lifestyle makes me think differently ...I have no problem with putting food on the table..
Yep, I'm hoping to have heavy hens covered by decent sized but not huge roos, to avoid leg problems for the hens. I also have some Jersey Giant teenagers (look like they are all going to be pullets) who I am interested in seeing how they mature out for weight distribution.

There are a few of us on the processing thread that aren't too squeamish at all about getting the job done. Sometimes it's not so much about emotional support as it is technical advise and tips/hints to make the process less stressful to those who are just learning now.
I don't see it as cold hearted though... it is a practicality, and approaching it that way doesn't make one cold hearted. Humanely dispatching an animal to provide food for your family is just a fact of life. Some of us are just more able to do it first hand instead of getting our meat at the grocery. Cold hearted would be allowing an animal to suffer, or killing it in a tortuous manner and being unmoved by it's suffering. I highly doubt anyone on here meets that description in any way!
Walking around today just snapping pics on the phone..

hubby planted some flowers for the birds,,,how long before they eat them..

new year's hatch, turning out to be a nice roo,,,,leghorn mix, maybe silkie has black skin

6 month old meat bird mix standing beside a 2 year old jersey giant

leghorn quad,,,impossible to keep in unless clipped...they follow me around.

chemical storage in ole trailer and the wagon converted to meat bird house.

inside of meat bird house

side view of meat house and run,,,,this is the area that is having the hawk problem

ramp going in side of meat house,,can be closed up with the screen sitting on ground

time for dinner,,,have more for later
Nice set up! I would love to have a lot more room than we do... but it will happen eventually, so enjoy our place we have now till that time comes.

Happy 4th from Our chickens to yours! This is "Scarlet" kiddos tiny serama hen, we hatched 3 babies this morning, lil white thangs!

Walking around today just snapping pics on the phone..

hubby planted some flowers for the birds,,,how long before they eat them..

new year's hatch, turning out to be a nice roo,,,,leghorn mix, maybe silkie has black skin

6 month old meat bird mix standing beside a 2 year old jersey giant

leghorn quad,,,impossible to keep in unless clipped...they follow me around.

chemical storage in ole trailer and the wagon converted to meat bird house.

inside of meat bird house

side view of meat house and run,,,,this is the area that is having the hawk problem

ramp going in side of meat house,,can be closed up with the screen sitting on ground

time for dinner,,,have more for later
COOL! I SOOO wish I could have a garden!

Walking around today just snapping pics on the phone.. hubby planted some flowers for the birds,,,how long before they eat them.. new year's hatch, turning out to be a nice roo,,,,leghorn mix, maybe silkie has black skin 6 month old meat bird mix standing beside a 2 year old jersey giant leghorn quad,,,impossible to keep in unless clipped...they follow me around. chemical storage in ole trailer and the wagon converted to meat bird house. inside of meat bird house side view of meat house and run,,,,this is the area that is having the hawk problem ramp going in side of meat house,,can be closed up with the screen sitting on ground time for dinner,,,have more for later
Awesome Wing! I feel like I've had a personal tour. STAKE: congrats! Nothing like that first egg. I was at the Ridley Park parade today, they still run the races afterward, egg toss and tug-a-war. Very nice. We took one of the baby goats, everyone commented on our 'weird looking dog'. : )

Awesome Wing! I feel like I've had a personal tour.

STAKE: congrats! Nothing like that first egg. I was at the Ridley Park parade today, they still run the races afterward, egg toss and tug-a-war. Very nice. We took one of the baby goats, everyone commented on our 'weird looking dog'. : )

Geez...takes me back...does it still happen across the street from the fire house?.....I wanna go back to the gaslight sometime to see if all the weird stuff it still hanging on the walls....and only in delco would you goat be mistaken for a dog....hail Ridley...lol

Geez...takes me back...does it still happen across the street from the fire house?.....I wanna go back to the gaslight sometime to see if all the weird stuff it still hanging on the walls....and only in delco would you goat be mistaken for a dog....hail Ridley...lol

taking a goat to a parade..................now that is kinda interesting...................Blarney how did the goat manage at the parade? On a leash etc..........those would be interesting photos!

Not sure if anyone missed me, but I have not died! I did miss 1040 posts, though...

I've been busy. I got a horse... More than likely a bad idea, but so far, so good! I really need to down size on birds yet. My ducks are making their way to the processor's next week. I need to sell the LF chocolate/mauve project birds as well. I have had so many chicken deaths in the last 2 weeks, it's insane. I have hens hatching chicks and they are killing them! The only one that isn't is my MFC Mildred and Millie. They are in with the bantam chocolate Orps and Millie wasn't even broody and is helping fend off the chocolate hens. I am not taking them out because they are chocolate babies and will be in there anyways. I trust Mildred and Millie to do a good job keeping them alive.

My ankle is still swollen and messed up. I never went back to the doctor's like I was supposed to. To busy.

Um... nothing else new to report, I believe...

Maggie!

Back
Top Bottom