Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Silkie......If you did not live so far I would come pick you up and get you away from all of it for a day...
hugs.gif

loving all the baby pics...only babies here are some4 week old bresse, and they are turning into little terrors,,it must be a very outgoing breed cause these little ones are not afraid of anything.

Silkie......If you did not live so far I would come pick you up and get you away from all of it for a day...
hugs.gif

loving all the baby pics...only babies here are some4 week old bresse, and they are turning into little terrors,,it must be a very outgoing breed cause these little ones are not afraid of anything.
Ugh! If my car was running worth a darn I'd drive myself over there...LOL

Morning all
caf.gif
had one beer yesterday and BOOM a mini hangover this morning .... that will teach me for not having a bourbon and coke instead! lol

Went and checked the chicks this morning, they were fine
yippiechickie.gif

Silkie sorry you have all of this going on right now, I wish we had some stuff to give you to help you out but we don't
sad.png
. Hopefully you can get things sorted out without too much stress
hugs.gif

Wing wow that is an impressive patch of land you have there, how much do you guys own?? I'd LOVEEEEEEEE to have some more land, so I could do a huge veg patch & put in some fruit trees. Maybe I can win the lottery and then buy all the land behind us that is selling at the auction at the end of the month .... ahhh a girl can dream

Hope everyone is doing well this morning!!!
big_smile.png

Morning all
caf.gif
had one beer yesterday and BOOM a mini hangover this morning .... that will teach me for not having a bourbon and coke instead! lol

yippiechickie.gif

Silkie sorry you have all of this going on right now, I wish we had some stuff to give you to help you out but we don't
sad.png
hugs.gif

Wing wow that is an impressive patch of land you have there, how much do you guys own?? I'd LOVEEEEEEEE to have some more land, so I could do a huge veg patch & put in some fruit trees. Maybe I can win the lottery and then buy all the land behind us that is selling at the auction at the end of the month .... ahhh a girl can dream

big_smile.png
Thanks tweetr. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
roll.png
Also found out this week that my ex is getting divorced from his wife & SHE is going to try to take MY kids from HIM. I have papers to get drawn up today & get filed tomorrow. Don't know who the heck she THINKS she is!!! Thosa are MY kids & she has been covering for HIS abuse for the past 5 years on them so he could keep them from me. Now she wants to reveal his abuse & thinks that will get HER custody of MY kids. OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!

Morning all
caf.gif

yippiechickie.gif

sad.png
hugs.gif

big_smile.png
32 acres....27 plowable.......believe me,, we have paid dearly over the years for it.......went without alot and still do at times....(I learned to do alot myself instead of buying things)

agreed stick with the bourbon and coke, beer does this....
sickbyc.gif

okay-----I still need some advice re: how to apply my shingles...........

I have a thin yet large piece of wood that I thought would be a good roof

Should I stain and seal it and then nail the shingles on

I do not have tar paper and trying to keep costs low.
I would use tar paper but I suppose you could get away without it. And painting would be a good idea to seal it. On the shingles, the first row you put down you want to remove the tabs so that you have the tar line there so the next course of shingles tabs are held down.

OR should I just staple the shingles on?
I would use roofing nails and it is normal for them to stick out the bottom.

also the wood is thin............I have shingle nails.............not sure how long yet I am imagining lots of nails sticking out below the wood..........probably wont matter because its not in the actually living space of the coop-----its a lean too over the coop..................do you agree that it doesn't matter if nails stick out the bottom of the roof board?

its a back pain kinda day so I am having ice on the back and doing some planning.....
thanks in advance!

Its not a big roof---------------------it will cover the dresser that is my avatar and extend a bit past it to the side and to the back ------I am opening the back of the dresser to make a back deck in the coop. 

I cant find good simple pictures of how to make a lean to roof. 

Honestly I was just going to have 4 posts on each corner--------------but now given what you say I am not sure..............

I don't know "rafters or trusses " etc...............I have watched a few shed building you tube videos ------------honestly they are still too carpentry advanced for me...............

I did not look into metal or plastic------------because I have been trying to use materials I have or can find via freecycle or craigs list.

I don't know how to cut the corrugated plastic or tin............also................

I do searches for materials yet find I may not be using the correct materials or roofing lingo............UGH............its hard to be such an amateur!

Lisa:

I think Silkie's suggestion not to overthink the process is good....Don't worry about studs and rafters, your coop is a small one and you can re-inforce the roof and sides later as necessary....also, you can add shingles later...or there are other products to seal the roof at the local HD...you can visit and review your construction against either of my two coops( one well built and one poorly) anything you nail together can be pulled apart and re-nailed....or better screwed together....hope this helps...PS, beer and carpentry do not go well together....personal experience....

thanks again everyone for the construction feedback

I am not trying to be perfect.............that is kinda funny ........I just am trying to make it work!

I think it would have been easier NOT to use a dresser and just make a box!

also putting together lots of different sizes of materials without the carpentry know how.........and this is a first venture into the chicken world
well .....its a lot of learning.................

I also don't want the whole thing to just fall apart instantly!

I do agree that I just gotta get it done .................or I will never get to the chickens part! Whats the point without the chickens?

Hope everyone stays somewhat cool today!

Back
Top Bottom