Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi, I live in western Pa, near New Castle area. I am new to chickens. But I am wondering if anyone lives around here where can you buy fertilized chicken eggs? Or do you have to have them shipped?

I'm over near Wheeling & always have eggs & something hatching.

Please correct my understanding...I thought to ship birds you need a NPIP cert....(actually a USPS requirement)...is this correct?

Technically yes, BUT... they never bother to check so lots get shipped without.

I have 7 babies hatched already this morning, more in lockdown, 2 more bators full & 14 under a broody in the layer coop.

have been searching for someone on the east coast with the Scot's dumpy breed of chicken for the past 2 years....only place I found them was sandhill but they have. Minimum of 25 chicks...I do not want to order that many..

It is a breed that suits me since they have 1 to 2 inch legs...unique and rare...just like me....will hide under the chair now....
Wing, m'dear, you don;t need to order 25 of that breed, just 25 total. Usually, they limit the number of chicks of any given breed to 5-10 each, depending on how rare they are. Sandhill will start taking 2014 orders around December, IIRC. I'm sure I could find 'something' I'd like to have from them, if you want to put an order together.

Hi everyone, newbies and those who have been here.
frow.gif

Been a lot of changes around here. Seth called off the wedding last month (long story short we're each having issues personally, and as a, now former, couple), and as far as I am concerned we're done, saves me, and especially Gavin, from getting hurt more. We're downsizing the flock, and got Reyvaughn's goat. The icing on the cake was receiving a letter from domestics yesterday that the bio-material donor is suing me to have the support reevaluated.

Hopefully everyone else is having a better month than I have been...
he.gif
lol
I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time lately. You're due for a break, for sure.

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone can help me find some duck hatching eggs close to Carlisle? I have already tried and failed at hatching some out and I would love to be able to try again before spring but I don't want to ship eggs until I have a little more experience hatching them. I'm not looking for anything in particular, just ducks or anything other then chickens really.
If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks
My Pekin girls are still laying occasionally. I can save them for you if you like. Daddy will probably be blue Swedish, though muscovy is also a possibility, I'm 1/2 hour north of Harrisburg.

Hi Everyone! I am looking for someone who would be willing to sell 1-2 green eggs, and 1-2 blue eggs to me for a class demonstration on egg shell color vs. egg coat color. It's a little last minute since the class is tomorrow, so I'd probably have to pick them up today. I am located in the State College area. Thank you much!!

Gavin's Mom... This weekend was Chris Brown's poultry/small animal auction. There was a Nigerian Dwarf I would have bought if I still had Nettie. I was actually half in tears thinking that of course, there'd be one at the auction less than 4 days after I sell her. Yes, I miss the little turd eating my clothes while doing chores. But, she could not stay.

I have been pretty silent because there is a lot going on here. I'm not sure if I ever updated the outcome of my Pap's tests. He has cancer in his lungs, kidney, spine and all his lymph nodes. They can not cure him, but are trying to extend his life for 1-2yrs. On Wednesday my granpap (yeah, we are a 5 generation family), who is 93yrs old was admitted into the hospital for a mass in his bladder and masses in his colon. They removed the masses in his colon, but no word to whether it's cancer or not. I don't know what they doing with the mass in his bladder. Right now they catheterized him because the mass in his bladder is limited his ability to go. So much so it was damaging his kidneys.

On top of all of that, the 82yr old that lives with us has me to my wits end with her martyring herself and making me out to be the reason for all her problems. It's a long story, but I am sick of living with her. I want her out and my mom is trying her best to keep her with me for at least 5yrs or death - whichever comes first. Plus, sending her to the nursing home inconvenience my mother since she owes the old woman money and mom needs to take care of some other financial issue before she can go. I told mom that since her husband doesn't want to sign the divorce papers, let him deal with it (he'd lose the house and everything else he's fought to keep the last 2.5yrs to keep). Just, let me tell you that I now know why her husband (who defaulted on the MSA and still has not signed divorce papers) did what he did and why none of her family wants anything to do with her. I am such a fool for taking her at face value and believing she was such a great person when I took her in over 2yrs ago. BTW, I got stuck with this house and got stuck with a mortgage we can not afford because of this woman. I am willing to sacrifice all my birds, the horse and all but two cats to get her out. I am willing to go without phone, Internet and even lights to get her the heck out of here. I can not stand it anymore.

hugs.gif
I'm sure things will work out, and hopefully you don't need to go to those extremes. Give me a call if you need to talk.

good luck, gavin comes first, do what you have to for him of course
Thanks, and I always try to. Doesn't always work out but I try lol.

Wing, m'dear, you don;t need to order 25 of that breed, just 25 total. Usually, they limit the number of chicks of any given breed to 5-10 each, depending on how rare they are. Sandhill will start taking 2014 orders around December, IIRC. I'm sure I could find 'something' I'd like to have from them, if you want to put an order together.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time lately. You're due for a break, for sure.

My Pekin girls are still laying occasionally. I can save them for you if you like. Daddy will probably be blue Swedish, though muscovy is also a possibility, I'm 1/2 hour north of Harrisburg.
Thanks. I'm looking at it this way, God is giving me what I need not what I want. Things will pan out the way they will. I may not understand it or appreciate it at times, but there must be a reason for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom