Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

It was a challenge taking care of the chickens today in all the ice. Here are some pictures from the Poconos.

My son's ice sculpture.

Prints from around my coops and up my hill. My trap was frozen and I didn't see any prints near the trap. :(

The view from inside one of my runs.
nice ice sculpture..
big_smile.png
...we didn't get the a lot of snow..but what was there had a real nice "ice crust" on it!..the netting looks cool..
the chickens didn't come out into the run until afternoon...to cold on the toes i guess...maybe it was the ice.., been out there all afternoon though..scratching around looking for anything....they really like watching the squirrels...i do believe it would be a VERY bad day for the squirrel if it decided to visit them...
ep.gif

i agree im not planing on eating them i have only 8 but when their laying days are over i wanted to process them and give meat to a friend. i guess my question is at what age do chickens typically stop laying? im in this for the eggs period, yes they are 'pets' but im not going to spend money feeding them if they arn't holding up their end of the deal ! does that sound mean?

Do you have any other 'pets'? I certainly hope not!

I just had to share... Through all the BS we are going through right now, I had a little gift delivered 2 days ago and another today. My Ameraucanas are LAYING! Well, at least one of them. They should have started 2 months ago, but figured they'd be like the last batch of late winter birds I hatched and start laying in January or February. Having those gorgeous turquoise eggs is a real treat.

It's crazy how something so small can make me giddy.

"It's crazy how something so small can make me giddy"

For me... it's that way each and every time. Just wait until you collect an egg which is still warm. How sweet 'that' is!!
Congrat!!!

"It's crazy how something so small can make me giddy"

For me... it's that way each and every time. Just wait until you collect an egg which is still warm. How sweet 'that' is!!
Congrat!!!

I have collect warm and even still wet ones. I like picking them right out of under my girls while they are still in the "standing, still in shock mode" right after laying. I've been raising chickens for almost 4yrs now and these aren't my first Ameraucanas. I've been raising wheaten/blue wheaten/splash wheaten Ams for over 3yrs now. I sold my entire flock earlier this year with only 4 dozen eggs in my incubator. These Ams are the ones I hatched from those eggs. It's just nice to see these gorgeous eggs after over 7 months without any!

Congrats, Blarney!

I think Dewey and I decided to add Marans next year. I am after the darkest eggs I can find to hatch from. If I'm going to do it, may as well do it right and start off right.

Sounds like the way to go. I'm considering adding a couple of Black Copper Marans next year just because I want the darkest eggs I can get. Gonna wait till the 5 Welsummers all start laying though first. Maybe one of those will be laying real dark eggs. If it happens to be one of the ones I gave to my Aunt I just might go over there in the dark of night and pull a little switch on her. XD
nah I couldn't do that honestly. She's also my Godmother and I love her too much. But if she does end up with a real dark egg layer I'll definitely have to look into getting a rooster to breed her to maybe.

So many options. So many possibilities and so many ways to go. I've got to get a plan together and stick to it. I do have a tendency to get lost in corners. And there are so many pretty corners when deciding which chickens to keep and what to keep them for. ^_^

Oh! and...
It's snowin' in Buck Mountain.

We're only supposed to get 1 to 3 inches today. But it's snowing like it means it out there right now and they are sending the kids home from school at 8:30.
What ever happened to the days when we'd be sitting there in school all day watching the snow coming down and getting deeper and deeper and glaring at the overhead speaker willing that voice to come on saying we were getting out early? Or getting up to a foot of snow and running right to the TV to watch the wraparound waiting for our school's name to come up as a delay or cancellation and never seeing it? Eh! Kids today.

GM chicken folk...its snowing well here...as this is my and my birds first winter, its pretty interesting seeing their behavior....the chooks hate the snow and even though the first 7' of the pen is covered, they don't want to go outside to feed....well hi ho hi ho....

GM chicken folk...its snowing well here...as this is my and my birds first winter, its pretty interesting seeing their behavior....the chooks hate the snow and even though the first 7' of the pen is covered, they don't want  to go outside to feed....well hi ho hi ho....

Sit the feed out there. They will go out when they get hungry enough...lol

Back
Top Bottom