Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thanks for all the responses, I am trying to get up the nerve to just plop them all together at night but I can't quite make myself do it yet, I'd be so worried all night. If it were summer I'd worry less & would have had them free ranging outside together long before this, I think that might have helped (at least it would have helped me...lol). I just am being silly I guess but I didn't want to have to deal with pecking injuries in this weather. Gabbie's beak looks so much sharper than Gracie's but Gracie is the oldest & larger of the 2 (probably really isn't though...lol). I do keep an infrared light on when it is cold & they don't really seem to like it much. My chickens always seem to be milling around on the floor any time I check on them hours after they should be on roost & that worried me since they don't seem to be heavy sleepers...lol Course the new ones only have the floor with lots of straw to be on since the coop is temporarily divided in half right now with the pop door, roosts & nesting boxes on the older gals side. Maybe I can force myself to do it tonight & see what tomorrow brings. I would like to let them all out in the run tomorrow together since it will be warmer tomorrow before the deep freeze starts up again...lol

Vicki:

I just read a good article on the 'pecking order' on BYC...the net sum of the article is that it is more disruptive for a flock not to have a clear pecking order than the confrontations that occur....for my crew of 10, I started with 6 then added more...also, I've had two girls go broody which I have been informed changes the pecking order...things were usually disrupted for a week or two then the birds find ways to accommodate each other....my two cents

Hi Ed, how is baby girl doing? How is your chicken, rabbit and dog gang doing?

I am sure Miss W is getting very big already!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16111028463...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have my eye on these, like 10. bucks something US

ARGON! and the price isnt bad coming from UK for sure.  I was reading up on them and found a pair available through ebay.  I do wish I hadnt been so cheap not getting them weeks ago when I researched them, today was horrible watering everyone. and its only gonna get worse.  

%24T2eC16VHJFwFFZudUM3GBSO3K,otZ!~~60_12.JPG

And knowing a little about RA, I know its worse for you (my very good friend has it).

Katt, Blarney & Wing:
Yep, that's me. No point in complaining, just get it done. I was raised to never pay someone else to do what you can do yourself, so in an absence of readily available funds I have learned to do a LOT of things myself over the years. This includes not wainting around for a man to get to it when I can get it done faster & more efficiently myself.
I sent JJ & my son back to the camper last night to take care of animals while my daughter & I stayed at the new house to get started patching & painting. (My livingroom was PINK!!!) Now to just get everything moved. $$$$ for the u-haul is the hold up since all we have is a car.

Silkie I may have missed this but how is your pullet with the frostbitten feet?

Last edited:
Wing:

I used to do some late fall striper fishing...I used to take 3-4 pairs of cheap brown gardening gloves and would swap out wet ones for dry ones as necessary...

CC:

I use my oil heat to 62 and then run a wood stove insert to get things warmer....the stove heats about 80% of my needs...

Ray and Sally,,, I do not have Ra like Sally does but I do have the Reynaud's which is secondary to scleraderma,,,,,i do not get the swollen joints but I get blisters on my finger tips from temperature change..... and I still do not buy good gloves......stupid I know...

LMP.....careful on that compatibilty....I find as age sets in things tend to reverse.....for instance... this year it is hubby who complains and turns the heat up, while I think it is extremely hot inside..

Back
Top Bottom