Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Worried_chicken.gif

this is what my ducks looked like this morning when I thru their butts out of the coop for some fresh air

Ray and Sally,,, I do not have Ra like Sally does but I do have the Reynaud's which is secondary to scleraderma,,,,,i do not get the swollen joints but I get blisters on my finger tips from temperature change..... and I still do not buy good gloves......stupid I know...

LMP.....careful on that compatibilty....I find as age sets in things tend to reverse.....for instance... this year it is hubby who complains and turns the heat up, while I think it is extremely hot inside..

Wing, My doc lets me get the rx nitro cream, its a shock to the system, (havent needed for hands and I use gloves to rub) but my toes have been saved many times with this cream.
I highly suggest it, I still get the sores and the occasional turning to death black sores under the tips, but not near the mess I had before use.

And since I stopped all the meds I was on I am extremely cautious, when I shoveled the front porch I came in after several minutes to warm up my hands and feet and repeat repeat.

raynauds can be horrible, I think most horrible when your trying to sleep and the swelling hot hurt starts, and then the sores. You know when u feel the cold and then the blue your in for trouble :( I hate it more than the RA! why? because I deal with it more often, even in the summer because of AC in the cars and the house. RA is weather related, fairly so for me, Raynauds isnt.

Quote: I do not have ac for this reason.....a 1 degree temp change to me will feel like a 20 degree change to most...

I get strange looks when i take a jacket to the store in the summer,,,,if not I am shivering within minutes of walking in...

my legs will also get the vein lines at times.....looks like a challenging treasure map...white legs with a bunch of red lines....looks funny..

this also irritates the other way around....I will get the breakouts from being cold and warming up quickly......feels like my toes are on fire when I first come inside......heat in the summer will physically be sickening for the first hour or so of being out in it.

Last edited:
I posted this a long time ago, but since there has been talk of wood burners.... here is what keeps us warm in this nasty weather.....

This is Dexter ... made by the Indiana foundry circa 1900, was my grandma's and it was my job to keep him stoked when I was there for visits and I got him after she passed away in the 90s and kept him in storage till I had the right place for him. He provides the majority of the heat for us to the tune of about $300 a year ($175 in coal and $125 or so in gas and oil for the chainsaw and firewood collection with the truck/trailer) The chickens love the ashes from the clean out pan through the winter... and we keep a couple buckets of it to add to their sand box through the summer for them to dust in also. We are pretty attached to this old stove for sure!

I posted this a long time ago, but since there has been talk of wood burners.... here is what keeps us warm in this nasty weather.....

This is Dexter ... made by the Indiana foundry circa 1900, was my grandma's and it was my job to keep him stoked when I was there for visits and I got him after she passed away in the 90s and kept him in storage till I had the right place for him. He provides the majority of the heat for us to the tune of about $300 a year ($175 in coal and $125 or so in gas and oil for the chainsaw and firewood collection with the truck/trailer) The chickens love the ashes from the clean out pan through the winter... and we keep a couple buckets of it to add to their sand box through the summer for them to dust in also. We are pretty attached to this old stove for sure!
I have an old square one like that in my basement.....we have never used it,,,,,hubby is not allowed to mess with fire inside.....he set the roof on fire at the old house....

I have an old square one like that in my basement.....we have never used it,,,,,hubby is not allowed to mess with fire inside.....he set the roof on fire at the old house....

They can be dangerous... chimney is cleaned twice a year, and flu pipe also cleaned when chimney is done. We have two more of them we don't use yet, one larger, one smaller... hope to have the right place to use them when we eventually move out of here and find property.

Dexter is gorgeous too! I love old shtuff!!

Katt, Blarney & Wing: Yep, that's me. No point in complaining, just get it done. I was raised to never pay someone else to do what you can do yourself, so in an absence of readily available funds I have learned to do a LOT of things myself over the years. This includes not wainting around for a man to get to it when I can get it done faster & more efficiently myself. I sent JJ & my son back to the camper last night to take care of animals while my daughter & I stayed at the new house to get started patching & painting. (My livingroom was PINK!!!) Now to just get everything moved. $$$$ for the u-haul is the hold up since all we have is a car.
Silkie I may have missed this but how is your pullet with the frostbitten feet?
JJ was the 1 treating her the last couple days since I'm busy at the new place. She soaked her feet again (still black) to try to prevent infection. She is getting duramycin-10, vit/elec powder & brown sugar in her water. She gobbles her crumbles. She is in a box lined fith scraps of an old towel by herself next to the brooder where she can hear the chicks. The heater in the room keeps her toasty. She hobbles but gets around.
Ray and Sally,,, I do not have Ra like Sally does but I do have the Reynaud's which is secondary to scleraderma,,,,,i do not get the swollen joints but I get blisters on my finger tips from temperature change..... and I still do not buy good gloves......stupid I know... LMP.....careful on that compatibilty....I find as age sets in things tend to reverse.....for instance... this year it is hubby who complains and turns the heat up, while I think it is extremely hot inside..
And I thought my fibromyalgia & asthma were bad. I manage to get done what I need to but pay for it later with muscle spasms, migraines & severe fatigue. I may end up in bed for a couple days because I can't see straight from the pain but at least my skin isn't blistering & peeling off. OUCH!!!!
I posted this a long time ago, but since there has been talk of wood burners.... here is what keeps us warm in this nasty weather..... This is Dexter ... made by the Indiana foundry circa 1900, was my grandma's and it was my job to keep him stoked when I was there for visits and I got him after she passed away in the 90s and kept him in storage till I had the right place for him. He provides the majority of the heat for us to the tune of about $300 a year ($175 in coal and $125 or so in gas and oil for the chainsaw and firewood collection with the truck/trailer) The chickens love the ashes from the clean out pan through the winter... and we keep a couple buckets of it to add to their sand box through the summer for them to dust in also. We are pretty attached to this old stove for sure!
I need 1 of those!!!

Dexter is gorgeous too!  I love old shtuff!!

I love that "Dexter" has a name! Looks like it keeps thing nice and toasty.

I am so behind on post I can't possibly go back and read them all! Hope everyone had a very safe and warm Holiday.

Okay, it's January, and I'm dreaming of baby chickies.... Is Febuary too early to start? That's my plan on when to get the little chirpers. Will anyone have any little peepers around that time? I am looking for day old chicks. As far as breed goes, I want them fat, fairly decent egg layers, and friendly. Not necessarily in that order of importance. :D. So excited! And so are my neighbors, my family, little children, my parrots (maybe). ;)

Stay warm everybody! :woot

Back
Top Bottom