Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I get such a rainbow of colors nobody gets a choice. They take whatever is in the cartons...lol

when I take eggs to work I take about 5 dozen at a time,,,,funny how the last dozen has no brown eggs in it,,,I stood back and watched them once...just shook my head and walked away...

I tell them they are a certain price as packaged. If they want specific colors the price goes up...lol
Actually we never have any trouble selling mixed eggs. We get a lot of questions about the colors but no one has refused to take any.

Last edited:
I happen to really like leghorns. They are really funny. Actually I like the Mediterranean class of chickens. They are energetic, and humorous! They are very alert, even though they are white, they do fairly well free ranging because of the alertness. We had a flock of Leghorns, and some production reds. The leghorns where the older of the group. Had to seperate them because the production reds where killing them. I eventually go a huge Barred rock rooster "Stew pot" and he kept some order. I eventually go rid of the reds because of there nasty personalities. I have not had any since........................... I never will. They LH were much sweeter!

The sweetest birds I have ever come across are Bantam Cochins, D'Uccles, and Silkies. I am generalizing that. I have seen sweeties in almost every breed but those there have a better chance of getting a nice girl
smile.png
I haven't been lucky enough yet to have any of those though there was a D'Uccles hen sitting on top of the chicken run fence down at Country Junction this past fall that my husband was trying to convince to jump down onto the parking lot side so she could go home with us. She wouldn't come down, just sat up there puck pucking at him like she was trying just as hard to get him to come up there and join her. As far as the people and their issues with the egg colors, people are silly!

It's funny some of the ideas they come up with.

I tell them they are a certain price as packaged. If they want specific colors the price goes up...lol
This is a good idea.
I'd think they'd be happy to have an assortment of pretty colors. I know I would.
Most of the people I know would as well. You should see them when my Aunt brings her Easter Egger eggs in for a couple of special friends. Everybody's all "oooohing and aaahhhhing" over them.

Last edited:

Who could resist such a pretty rainbow? They want to try 1 of every color. I actually have people ask for all the colors...lol
i would only be able to sell that to the few mennonite customers I have, that stop at the farm.....the rest would not take that.......just goes to show you how different things can be in different area'a.....

Who could resist such a pretty rainbow? They want to try 1 of every color. I actually have people ask for all the colors...lol
i would only be able to sell that to the few mennonite customers I have, that stop at the farm.....the rest would not take that.......just goes to show you how different things can be in different area'a.....
I just tell them to try them. They always come back for more. Apparently I'm persuasive...lol

Quote: I just tell them to try them. They always come back for more. Apparently I'm persuasive...lol
might be that I am just to close to the city......some people will not eat my eggs because of the yolk color, people that grew up on grocery store eggs seem to think the yolk is suppose to be yellow, that orange color in my eggs seems to turn them away.

should of heard the yucks, when I took the silkie roo for dinner....

you would think, but i know lots that will not eat a green egg, even the few maran eggs I get, I was asked if it came from an old bird since it was so dark....
lol! They're nuts! I'd love those dark eggs.
I can't wait till my Welsummer starts laying and am hoping they'll be at least close to that dark.

Speaking of which, has anybody else ever had a Buff Orpington that lays very dark eggs?

My Dumpy's first couple were such a deep rich dark brown I'd have sworn they were the Welsummer's if she wasn't only like 2 months old. And the past couple have looked like this:

Hers is the bottom middle one. It's dark brown with darker speckles all over it. So neat! The lighter brown pinkish ones are her little sister, Harry's. She's supposed to be a Black Orpington but from her build and size I think she's actually a Black Austrolorp instead.

Back
Top Bottom