Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I don't know if weirdness even begins to describe what ya got going on there...I haven't seen that before, hope someone with experience chimes in.

Karen, I don't know any CPTs on your end of the state. If you're in Westmoreland county, that puts you in region IV and Dr. Erin Moore would be the vet assigned to your area, she can most likely give you the number of someone certified by you. She is located in Gibsonia and her number is (724) 443-1585. Good luck!
Yeah, it made me nauseous and I felt so bad for her. She was in that nesting box (yes, we finally got them laying in there lol) for at least an hour... no "egg song" either. I noticed for a couple days before she was kinda dizzy and skittish, but I chalked it up to the heat, then this egg yesterday. What I also thought was odd was that neither of the other 2 girls laid an egg, it was Gertrude's "turn" lol. Maybe hen solidarity?!
lol.png

Need to vent

I processed some birds this weekend and my daughter wanted some, my rule to the kids is that, if you want to eat them you must help process them...here is thesticky part.......she is passing that onto her kids ages 4 and 6....
I had the 4 and 6 year old helping me gut, they have perfect size hands for this,,, they did a great jjob, till today...the 6 year old is telling all of her fiends about this, and my daughter is getting angry calls from other parents..

I see nothing wrong with these kids helping, but apparently our backwards society does.
Wingstone, lemme tell ya, I feel ya!! Society seemed to be becoming more and more backwards at a steady pace until around 2000, since then it's been a hard and fast downward spiral! If it gets any more backwards, it'll be inside out... maybe then people will be forced to take a good hard look at how far they have strayed away from all things natural and a change will occur. Deep in my bones, I feel "something wicked this way comes"! I've finally gotten my 10 yr old to understand that, at some point, our girls will be processed too. Finally summer vacation is upon us and the prying eyes of society won't be an every day thing for a few months and we can do this "chicken farming" with a little less spotlight
idunno.gif
?!

Well all I can say is that these kids will be exposed to all kinds of things that the kids in town will never see.

You see I grew up with a mother that tried to shield us from everything and a grandmother that said "hogwash, these kids need to learn this stuff ". Can you tell who won that...

I take pride in the fact that this is a skill that even though it is natural to me, it is lost with most of society

Good for you wing!! I wish I lived further out of town so we could do a lot more of what we're doing now, however I am grateful that we were allowed to do this much in/on rented property. Some day, ahhh some fine day
wink.png
!

Need to vent

I processed some birds this weekend and my daughter wanted some, my rule to the kids is that, if you want to eat them you must help process them...here is thesticky part.......she is passing that onto her kids ages 4 and 6....
I had the 4 and 6 year old helping me gut, they have perfect size hands for this,,, they did a great jjob, till today...the 6 year old is telling all of her fiends about this, and my daughter is getting angry calls from other parents..

I see nothing wrong with these kids helping, but apparently our backwards society does.

Wing... if I were your daughter I would simply tell the idiots.... ''I am choosing to raise my kids to understand and respect where food comes from, if you want your children to grow up clueless about basic life necessities then that is your problem and I am sorry for them"

Just how do people think their ancestors survived????? Geesh.... they didn't have WalMart and Giant Eagles a hundred years ago and .... OMG!!! All of those kids survived the horror of it!

Wing... if I were your daughter I would simply tell the idiots.... ''I am choosing to raise my kids to understand and respect where food comes from, if you want your children to grow up clueless about basic life necessities then that is your problem and I am sorry for them"

Just how do people think their ancestors survived????? Geesh.... they didn't have WalMart and Giant Eagles a hundred years ago and .... OMG!!! All of those kids survived the horror of it!

I agree. People can be such jerks about stuff. I am a hunter---I do so because I believe in ethical eating. People call me a killer and rip into me. I am not a trophy hunter, I hunt for meat alone and always by the rules and regulations required. They eat their chicken and beef from the store and they try to tell me a slaughter house is more ethical than a well placed instantaneous kill shot? My animals are happy in life, not confined and tortured to make a big mac or chicken nuggets. Makes my blood boil at the backwards view and permanent blinders people walk through life wearing. Sorry. I guess I had to vent too...

Wing... if I were your daughter I would simply tell the idiots.... ''I am choosing to raise my kids to understand and respect where food comes from, if you want your children to grow up clueless about basic life necessities then that is your problem and I am sorry for them"

Just how do people think their ancestors survived?????  Geesh.... they didn't have WalMart and Giant Eagles a hundred years ago and .... OMG!!!  All of those kids survived the horror of it!

I agree. People can be such jerks about stuff. I am a hunter---I do so because I believe in ethical eating. People call me a killer and rip into me. I am not a trophy hunter, I hunt for meat alone and always by the rules and regulations required. They eat their chicken and beef from the store and they try to tell me a slaughter house is more ethical than a well placed instantaneous kill shot? My animals are happy in life, not confined and tortured to make a big mac or chicken nuggets. Makes my blood boil at the backwards view and permanent blinders people walk through life wearing. Sorry. I guess I had to vent too...

Very understood, I can not believe how far removed people are from food, yes I eat way to much bought food, it is a time saver and convenience, but I also know how to feed myself when needed.
It is those that say, well I will just come to you when the grocery store has no food, I usually tell them to come well armed because I am sure I could process them into a few meals also.......these are the one's that annoy me..

My daughter is just brushing them off, but most of these are neighbor kids and it is a shame that the parents say their kids may no longer together.:mad:

Hey all! So as you may know, 2 of my girls have been taking turns laying, so we were getting an egg a day for a week. Yesterday a 3rd girl laid, but neither of the other girls did, however the egg was very small and brittle. It was about the size of a quail egg and when we opened it, there was... well, weirdness is the only way I can describe it. Here are some pics, can someone tell me what this is?!

Sorry about the "background" lol. It's on a napkin that's on a paper plate that had icecream on it (my b-day party was the night before hehe). So, what is this about?!
It looks like the left over eggs on the egg cluster. I don't understand the whole process, but when the hen goes into a molt she stops producing eggs and in this case it looks like she had some that did not mature or absorb back into her system, so her body chose to pass them off through the oviduct all in one mass. These are all my own thoughts from 20+ years of raising chickens and have not proven to be true scientifically.

Ok everyone, more questions! Lol

one of my EE pullets is acting strange today. I noticed it after my husband shot if his gun in the yard this morning so I done know if it's related to that or not (he shot away from the coop of course). So, after he shot the gun she was making strange noises like little peeppy huffs. Almost like sneezes. I held her for a bit with no trouble picking her up and she stopped but then was doing it again after I put her back down. That was around 9 - ish this morning. We'll about 20 minutes ago, our son came rushing into the house because she jumped out the door to the run when he opened it to put some scraps in and while he was trying to get her a bunch more got out (they are all 12-13 weeks old and have never been out yet lol). We got them all back in and Maple was first but the entire time we were getting everyone back in she was persistently trying to jump back out. She ended up under a couple others and they almost seemed to attack her for trying to get out and they chased her back under the coop and pinned her. I went and rescued her and held her again for a few minutes. She sounded raspy and almost like she was wheezing. I put her down and she really didn't want to go anywhere and just stood there. I have get a little nudge and she moved a little. I left because I had food cooking and came back out to peek in on her and she was just chowing on food like nothing was wrong. Should I worry about her or is she ok? I'm confused.

ETA: She was always my brave chick. The one that everyone said would be a roo lol. Don't know if that matters or not.

Last edited:
Good morning! We are looking for an all-flock or grower type feed that we could feed our entire multi-age flock. We can get layer feed locally for cheap, but don't know what to feed the little ones that isn't so expensive like from TSC. Any suggestions? We live in York but can go to Lancaster.

Back
Top Bottom