Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'd do the move at night, then get up real early and meet them as they come off the roost....providing a bit of scratch might be a good idea too and it will buy some time when they won't be focused on her....my two cents (and I'm the one giving advise when I had to build a separate pen for my girl)
Stake has good advice. I would do as he has advised.

Hi been very busy a 1 year old daughter will do that
Little ones do take an enormous amount of time and energy! Glad to see you stop in..

lol I'll take any advice I can get right now. I just put her in the coop with the others and there was some shuffling going on at the roost but I think it was just rearranging as she squeezed her butt up on since of course they roost on the board where the nest box will be instead of the actual roosts and there's nowhere near enough room for all of them there smh. I stood outside and listened for about 5 minutes and everything calmed down. A couple peeps, a trill or two and then all was quiet. I'll be out there first thing in the morning with them making sure they leave her alone. She seems to have relaxed a great deal since I seperated her (and of course loved her up).

So I was all excited when I went out to the coop to see if they went to bed on their own this time and didn't see a single chicken on the ground! But then I walked in to sit the door and there they are, all lined up, right outside the chicken door on the roosts that DH and I put in the run today *rolls eyes*.
It will take them a while to figure out their new digs... but eventually they will. Out of every group their seems to be one or two 'free spirits' so to speak who just don't like to conform... we have a hen who still causes us worry every evening because she just doesn't want to quit ranging till she absolutely can't see anymore. Most of our birds have themselves tucked onto the shelves by 6 or 7 pm... well before dark... but little Jeckle insists on pushing her luck. Gracie's last hatch of EEs (about 9 or 10 weeks old now I think) are the same way.
barnie.gif

Well things didn't work out very well. Maple wouldn't come out of the coop until I called her out. She's afraid of ALL the others, especially the roosters and they seem to know it. They all seemed to peck her to show they were boss. The one roo actually attacked her repeatedly while I was holding her near the food. I kept shoving him away, harder each time until he tripped and fell and landed on another roo. Then he stopped. But she's still very scared. Everytime anyone even looks sideways at her she starts running away getting pecked along the way. She'll hang out with a couple of them as long as they aren't facing her or coming towards her. She has to go to them on her own terms. I held her and comforted her a little but I made her stay down mostly to Terry to confront her fear. I think a lot of them are only picking on her because they know she's scared of them. Right now she's hanging out on the roost in the run. I shut the coop door for now so she can't just go in there to hide. I don't know what else to do for her though besides make her face her fear. She used to be the brave one, now it seems she has NO fight in her. She won't even try to defend herself.

If anyone local needs some eggs, you can have as many as you want as long as you bring me some egg cartons.
My customers got ticked when I didn't have eggs for a month during the winter, and all but one returned to the grocery store eggs. If this continues, I will have to go down to four chickens!

If anyone local needs some eggs, you can have as many as you want as long as you bring me some egg cartons.
My customers got ticked when I didn't have eggs for a month during the winter, and all but one returned to the grocery store eggs. If this continues, I will have to go down to four chickens!

I wish you lived closer, I have like 20+ egg cartons and only 7 eggs
lau.gif
!! When people found out we were getting chickens they felt compelled to give me all their egg cartons. As of yesterday, day 9 of laying, we were getting one egg per day (2 girls taking turns)... today we got 2 eggs already and it's not even 10am. But we still don't need 20+ egg cartons
gig.gif
!

I may take you up on that. I don't have a whole lot of cartons but I have some. Has to wait until at least Friday though

Well things didn't work out very well. Maple wouldn't come out of the coop until I called her out. She's afraid of ALL the others, especially the roosters and they seem to know it. They all seemed to peck her to show they were boss. The one roo actually attacked her repeatedly while I was holding her near the food. I kept shoving him away, harder each time until he tripped and fell and landed on another roo. Then he stopped. But she's still very scared. Everytime anyone even looks sideways at her she starts running away getting pecked along the way. She'll hang out with a couple of them as long as they aren't facing her or coming towards her. She has to go to them on her own terms. I held her and comforted her a little but I made her stay down mostly to Terry to confront her fear. I think a lot of them are only picking on her because they know she's scared of them. Right now she's hanging out on the roost in the run. I shut the coop door for now so she can't just go in there to hide. I don't know what else to do for her though besides make her face her fear. She used to be the brave one, now it seems she has NO fight in her. She won't even try to defend herself.

Auro:

Sorry it hasn't worked yet....keep an eye on her....maple will be submissive to the roos and the hens....she is an outsider....not a member of the flock (though she wants to be)...be watchful, if they are committed to attacking her, they will hurt her badly....or they may just ignore her...hope things work out....

Auro:

Sorry it hasn't worked yet....keep an eye on her....maple will be submissive to the roos and the hens....she is an outsider....not a member of the flock (though she wants to be)...be watchful, if they are committed to attacking her, they will hurt her badly....or they may just ignore her...hope things work out....

She's been out there all morning with them. I've been peeking in on her here and there without her seeing me (she sees me and she'll just try to get to me). She seems to be mingling better worth the other pullets from what I can see. She was lounging with them and walking with them last time I checked so I think this approach might be working. I'm going to keep the coop shut to force her to be with them until this evening.

If you have a Facebook account post an ad. I have so many customers (all friends so I feel safe selling to them) I have a hard time keeping eggs for myself!

I have 7 eggs in the incubator on lockdown. Fingers crossed they all hatch. I started out with 21. I finally got my vegetable garden planted yesterday. Better late then never I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom