Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Nope, don't insulate. Even way up in Canada that is not needed. You aren't trying to keep the coop warm in winter. Summer heat is harder on chickens than the winter cold, and good cross ventilation or an outside run with shade, takes care of that. If you want to take precautions in winter, build the coop with the thought that you might want to put a tarp over part of it to block the really bad weather (blowing snow and freezing rain for ex). If you buy a tarp and have a way to easily put it up for the really bad days, then you will feel better and they will have that little bit of added protection. We all say ventilation is key, but let's face it - in last winter's blizzards and ice storms, were we really worried that there as not enough ventilation? Of course, the next day, when the sun comes out, you want to take it off and open things up. You'll be amazed at how in super cold, but sunny and still days, the birds will be acting perfectly normal. Well some don't care for the deep snow, but other than that.

Thank you for your advice, the tarp is a great idea! The run is already covered for summer shade but my girls free range all day anyways. Their favorite spot right now is under some pine trees, unless I am outside then of course they have to follow me around. They wouldn't want to miss anything! I am not very old (32) but last winter was the worst one I have ever experienced. I guess I am just overprotective and nervous for my first winter with chickens. Besides our honey bees, they are our first outside pets.

Thank you for your advice, the tarp is a great idea! The run is already covered for summer shade but my girls free range all day anyways. Their favorite spot right now is under some pine trees, unless I am outside then of course they have to follow me around. They wouldn't want to miss anything! I am not very old (32) but last winter was the worst one I have ever experienced. I guess I am just overprotective and nervous for my first winter with chickens. Besides our honey bees, they are our first outside pets.

Chickens are essentially "super insulated". When considering their well being, imagine yourself in well outfitted winter gear. As long as there is no strong wind or driving precipitation, you can walk around for hours in comfort, even in super cold conditions. Ever been dressed like that, but have to stand in a biting wind or driving snow? Not very nice at all, you want to get out of that. Give your birds the opportunity to retreat to a dry, calm area and they can manage the rest.

Usually -- every now and then you get a really, really stupid bird who can't sort that out and you will need to give them additional training or attention. I lost a peacock last winter because the flock was too stupid to roost inside until I removed every single roosting place in the run. I put them back up this spring, but intend to remove the outside roosts this winter too, no sense in tempting fate. I know believe that peacocks are the lowest on the intelligence scale of all poultry. Before my experience with them, I was sure that pigeons were the worst, or at least inbred show pigeons. Whole 'nother story there . . .

I've been wondering the same thing and feeling the same way. I keep thinking "Meh...buy a safe little heater to put out there and cage it in so they can't land on it". By the way, I'm re-purposing our small one stall garage/carport/shed (what in God's name IS that thing?! lol) It was built when the house was in 1913, it's brick, enclosed, with a garage door leading to our driveway. On the side is a door leading to our back porch. it has two small windows, one on each side. Good for ventilation I am assuming. ANYWAY...that's what will be the hen house/coop. I just worry about the temperatures we can get slammed with in the winter. Reading over these posts, however; has me second-guessing the use of any kind of heater. What about a hanging heat lamp somewhere so the hens can choose??

I've been wondering the same thing and feeling the same way. I keep thinking "Meh...buy a safe little heater to put out there and cage it in so they can't land on it". By the way, I'm re-purposing our small one stall garage/carport/shed (what in God's name IS that thing?! lol) It was built when the house was in 1913, it's brick, enclosed, with a garage door leading to our driveway. On the side is a door leading to our back porch. it has two small windows, one on each side. Good for ventilation I am assuming. ANYWAY...that's what will be the hen house/coop. I just worry about the temperatures we can get slammed with in the winter. Reading over these posts, however; has me second-guessing the use of any kind of heater. What about a hanging heat lamp somewhere so the hens can choose??

I would not use a heater in the winter. I would put in a light on a timer if you want them to lay through the winter. Maybe have the light come on at 3 AM and off at 8 AM. Also, a heated water bowl (I buy blue plastic ones for about $20 at TSC) is a huge benefit.

Then that is how it shall be :) I will pick up a couple heated bowls and serve warm oatmeal from time to time. I'll hang the light, as you said, on a timer. Eggs all year 'round is what I'm hoping for. I'm grateful for having stumbled upon BYC and to people like you with such awesome input! Thanks many times!

I would not use a heater in the winter. I would put in a light on a timer if you want them to lay through the winter. Maybe have the light come on at 3 AM and off at 8 AM. Also, a heated water bowl (I buy blue plastic ones for about $20 at TSC) is a huge benefit.
P.S. What about having to gather frozen eggs in the morning?? Somehow that doesn't sound very appealing to me *shrugs* Do they taste any different?

Last edited:
P.S. What about having to gather frozen eggs in the morning?? Somehow that doesn't sound very appealing to me *shrugs* Do they taste any different?

Unless they are frozen to the point of cracking, I haven't found any difference. Ideally, you collect eggs more often in super cold conditions to avoid them getting frozen.

I wonder if it would be safe and effective to put a heating pad in the bottom of the nestbox. Might make them linger in there longer that needed, like not wanting to get out of a warm bed. Had anyone ever tried this? Maybe pad in the bottom with some 1/4 HW cloth over it, then pine shavings. Would that get too hot and start a fire?

Rough night. Can't get my act together. Something caused chaos in my main run. I have a cockerel with it's head ripped off, but body is still breathing. I want to put it out of it's misery, but can't figure out how. Any ideas? I don't want the grandsons to happen upon the massacre. I'm pretty upset.

Well there won't be any more swaps until August 3rd.
1f60f.png
Or I/you can always hatch some in spring. :)

Spring would be great!

If I don't sell these at the next swap(s), I'll have them for another month (which I'm not hoping for). If I don't sell them, I'd love for you to take them.

I know there are multiple threads on BYC but I would like to get opinions from fellow Pennsylvanians. Should we insulate the new coop ? I would hate to waste the valuable inside coop space if it is not ncessary.

My roof is set on 2x3's therefore there is a 2½gap at the roof on each side (slopped roof). In addition there is an 8 inch by 6 foot window in the west side and a 20 inch by 6 foot window in the east side. The large window has a flap that can cover it but not seal. The pop door is always open.

Coop is 8x12ft.

That is a lot of ventilation. The roosts are located in the corners away from direct draft.

This past winter I covered nothing. All survived. Some frostbitten com's, but they recovered.

Breeds were SFH and orpingtons.

They are far sturdier animals than you may think.

Along the same lines, my rabbits are kept in roughly the same conditions and I was having litters over the winter.

Only issue was need to change water a couple times a day. There is no electric to coops or rabbits.

Fresh air. Fresh air. Fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom