Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Due to some unbelievably unfortunate circumstances, I will be 'depopulating' my flock shortly. I can't describe how much this saddens me. I do know that most of you on here can relate. I have a fondness for my birds that most people can't seem to understand.

I took a bird that died for necropsy at New Bolton Center. The bird tested positive for a disease that can be passed to humans with a compromised immune system. New Bolton has only seen it once before in 30 years. As DD#2 has recently been diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, and even though, God willing, she will have a swift recovery and not have chemotherapy, we are not willing to take any chances. So this is where we are. If anyone here would like some beautiful Olive Egger eggs to hatch, or some BLRWs, I will have the birds for another week or 2. I wish my Orpingtons or Marans were laying, but they are not.

This is my Devan, she has surgery tomorrow prayers are appreciated. Thanks peeps.

Saying prayers for your beautiful daughter and whole family. Sorry about your birds as well.

Seems like a crappy time of year for all this to happen. I myself am going on Friday to have a mass removed and sent to pathology. I get my stitches removed and results back on my 40th birthday! I hoping for a happy birthday!

Aurora, Sharron, Stake, Anne, Wing, Hendricks and Fisher, thanks so much for your kind words and offers of help.

Devan is out of a successful surgery, I'm just waiting to get to see her in recovery. Fisher, the disease is Mycobacterium Aviam (sp?), it can live in the soil up to 4 years. It's highly susceptible to poultry, rabbits, pigs and mink. So no pigs for us either.

Hendricks, wow. Scary Stuff. I certainly hope your biopsy is negative, a perfect birthday present indeed.

Aurora, Sharron, Stake, Anne, Wing, Hendricks and Fisher, thanks so much for your kind words and offers of help.

Devan is out of a successful surgery, I'm just waiting to get to see her in recovery. Fisher, the disease is Mycobacterium Aviam (sp?), it can live in the soil up to 4 years. It's highly susceptible to poultry, rabbits, pigs and mink. So no pigs for us either.

Hendricks, wow. Scary Stuff. I certainly hope your biopsy is negative, a perfect birthday present indeed.
so glad it was successful, now hoping for a fast recovery for her
is there anything that you could spread on the ground, like lime that might help?

Blarney----I am also sorry for your situation. I am glad your daughter is out of surgery.......successfully..........and I wish her a speedy return to good health.

I am sure this is a big lifestyle change for you and your family.............yet when it comes to the people we love............family members health...........these types of changes are do-able ----even if they are sad...............loved ones come first...........

still all this being said............given the little bit I know about your from this group.............its a big change ....a longstanding hobby...........that you have dedicated much time , effort , heart, and money etc into................I feel for you....................

are you able to keep your goats?

dogs and cats..............too?

feel for you and wish your family good health -------wish I knew what to say ................

Great to hear that she is doing good, hope for a quick recovery and we will keep hoping for all follow ups to be good..

I also looked up that disease, if this was only one bird that was tested, I would test another, those symptoms could be many other things.....
But I do understand that your concern is family right now.

Sharron, from what I understand, formaldehyde is what kills it, as my birds free range, We can't really contain and 'cure' an area. :(

@Lisa, yes, very big change. Was just hanging with Popcorn and she follows me like a puppy. The original phone call I got about depopulation included the goats and dogs. I was not much more than a puddle of tears that day. After getting my small animal vet on the phone, I found that my dogs were at virtually no risk. The goats have all been tested and they were all negative. Chickens can not be tested in the same manner and can show a false negative.

@Wing, The second bird that we had tested was negative, but the bird had to be sacrificed to make that determination. A bit counterproductive, no? I keep turning this over and over in my mind to find a way to continue. MsLadyHawke has offered to keep a trio of my Partridge Orpingtons. That would mean I'd have to wait until those stubborn bittys come back into lay, hatch new birds and then have them stay off of our property for 4 years. It's the burdening someone else for 4 years part that I can't do.

We have been on the phone with the health department, the CDC, the department of agriculture and many veterinarians that are friends. It was made clear to me that this is not a disease that they they control and that if it were, they would already have been here in their Tyvek suits and cleaned house. The sad truth is that this disease is out there in the wild bird population and the only reason it showed up here is because I got the necropsy. My birds are acting healthy and happy, we tested a second bird and it was negative. We do know for sure that the original bird tested had the disease, and my personal choice is to not risk exposing my daughter or any other poultry. Having said that...I do keep wavering. I keep thinking, maybe we can just keep Popcorn and a friend for her, let them live out their lives and start the four year period after they're gone.... The Partridge Orpington pen is closed off from the other birds, maybe we could keep that group just until they start laying and then hatch from them.

I can't imagine our farm without poultry. But do not want to perpetuate the disease.

Sharron, from what I understand, formaldehyde is what kills it, as my birds free range, We can't really contain and 'cure' an area. :(

@Lisa, yes, very big change. Was just hanging with Popcorn and she follows me like a puppy. The original phone call I got about depopulation included the goats and dogs. I was not much more than a puddle of tears that day. After getting my small animal vet on the phone, I found that my dogs were at virtually no risk. The goats have all been tested and they were all negative. Chickens can not be tested in the same manner and can show a false negative.

@Wing, The second bird that we had tested was negative, but the bird had to be sacrificed to make that determination. A bit counterproductive, no? I keep turning this over and over in my mind to find a way to continue. MsLadyHawke has offered to keep a trio of my Partridge Orpingtons. That would mean I'd have to wait until those stubborn bittys come back into lay, hatch new birds and then have them stay off of our property for 4 years. It's the burdening someone else for 4 years part that I can't do.

We have been on the phone with the health department, the CDC, the department of agriculture and many veterinarians that are friends. It was made clear to me that this is not a disease that they they control and that if it were, they would already have been here in their Tyvek suits and cleaned house. The sad truth is that this disease is out there in the wild bird population and the only reason it showed up here is because I got the necropsy. My birds are acting healthy and happy, we tested a second bird and it was negative. We do know for sure that the original bird tested had the disease, and my personal choice is to not risk exposing my daughter or any other poultry. Having said that...I do keep wavering. I keep thinking, maybe we can just keep Popcorn and a friend for her, let them live out their lives and start the four year period after they're gone.... The Partridge Orpington pen is closed off from the other birds, maybe we could keep that group just until they start laying and then hatch from them.

I can't imagine our farm without poultry. But do not want to perpetuate the disease.

No one here is judging your decision, we are just trying to offer alternatives and of course we have questions of our own,,,,,,
You say it lives in the soil for 4 years, how can you be sure that the disease is gone before restarting, and if I am understanding right, this could have come from a wild bird that migrated and spent some time with you, how would you know when it is out of the wild population near you.
I know it is not the same as chickens but would a inside parrot or something like that also be at risk if they never go outside..

On a happy note, you are welcome to come visit when you need a poultry fix, and that offer still stands for your son, I will show him the processing procedure and maybe you can find a neighbor to raise a batch of meaties for you.

LMP... it will depend what you want to do with the rabbits, I plan on trying to keep and tan some of the pelts, if that works out I will be looking for other breeds.
The Californian rabbits that we got from ray are doing great, they are well on their way to their second litter, she had 10 the first time around and nursed them all into healthy rabbits..
You will need to decide what all you want to do... my daughter does lots of crafts and would like to try working with the furs, .you know me, I prefer not to waste anything so if I can use that fur it makes a difference
Check out some of the Facebook groups for backyard rabbits, they have quite a few of them.
i am way behind here, so please bear-with me...still recovering, slowly...
we are interested in meat and pelts...we too like to try and use everything. ..i do not do the facebook thing, been getting info online though...reading till i don/t know what i m looking at
tongue.png
..haha, just seeing what is most common out there..try to get a feel for what pelts are most desirable..in our areas
Californian, new Zealand, champagne d'argent, and a mix of new Zealand and something. And I cross between all of them.
Generally people want white hides if you go that route since they can be dyed any color.
thumbsup.gif
..got your PM

Back
Top Bottom