Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Due to some unbelievably unfortunate circumstances, I will be 'depopulating' my flock shortly. I can't describe how much this saddens me. I do know that most of you on here can relate. I have a fondness for my birds that most people can't seem to understand.

I took a bird that died for necropsy at New Bolton Center. The bird tested positive for a disease that can be passed to humans with a compromised immune system. New Bolton has only seen it once before in 30 years. As DD#2 has recently been diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, and even though, God willing, she will have a swift recovery and not have chemotherapy, we are not willing to take any chances. So this is where we are. If anyone here would like some beautiful Olive Egger eggs to hatch, or some BLRWs, I will have the birds for another week or 2. I wish my Orpingtons or Marans were laying, but they are not.

This is my Devan, she has surgery tomorrow prayers are appreciated. Thanks peeps.

So this is a little strange. I got all of my original chickens at the same time, but I have one that is molting right now. Only one. She is always the fastest though, my SLW Atila. She looks like a porcupine neck, but I'm sure it will get worse, haha! :lol:

The dog is trying to lick the chickens spilled yogurt off the ground. Lol

It's pretty normal to have them molt at different times, I've even had birds that were hatched together and the same breed molt at different times.

Due to some unbelievably unfortunate circumstances, I will be 'depopulating' my flock shortly. I can't describe how much this saddens me. I do know that most of you on here can relate. I have a fondness for my birds that most people can't seem to understand.

I took a bird that died for necropsy at New Bolton Center. The bird tested positive for a disease that can be passed to humans with a compromised immune system. New Bolton has only seen it once before in 30 years. As DD#2 has recently been diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, and even though, God willing, she will have a swift recovery and not have chemotherapy, we are not willing to take any chances. So this is where we are. If anyone here would like some beautiful Olive Egger eggs to hatch, or some BLRWs, I will have the birds for another week or 2. I wish my Orpingtons or Marans were laying, but they are not.

This is my Devan, she has surgery tomorrow prayers are appreciated. Thanks peeps.

I'm so sorry. Prayers for a easy and successful surgery and a swift recovery.

my heart and prayers go out to you

B:

I am so sorry....I hope DD#2 does well.....

I wish I could take all your eggs;but, I have absolutely no coop space left....any chance I could hatch and brood a crew for you?

If there's anything else I can do, just let me know....

Just wanted to show some baby pics :) Cloud is doing a good job :)
They look like big babies now!
Think Spring.
It's a bit early for that, but we'll need that in two months. :lol:
Due to some unbelievably unfortunate circumstances, I will be 'depopulating' my flock shortly. I can't describe how much this saddens me. I do know that most of you on here can relate. I have a fondness for my birds that most people can't seem to understand. I took a bird that died for necropsy at New Bolton Center. The bird tested positive for a disease that can be passed to humans with a compromised immune system. New Bolton has only seen it once before in 30 years. As DD#2 has recently been diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, and even though, God willing, she will have a swift recovery and not have chemotherapy, we are not willing to take any chances. So this is where we are. If anyone here would like some beautiful Olive Egger eggs to hatch, or some BLRWs, I will have the birds for another week or 2. I wish my Orpingtons or Marans were laying, but they are not. This is my Devan, she has surgery tomorrow prayers are appreciated. Thanks peeps.
I'm so sorry. Will be praying for your DD. Sorry about your flock too, but I know that is completely secondary right now. You have and a rough go of things lately. :hugs

Just wanted to show some baby pics
smile.png
Cloud is doing a good job
smile.png
They look wonderful! So glad it worked out with Cloud taking all of the little ones.... I don't think there are too many better ways to pass time than watching a happy flock of all ages enjoying treat time and foraging! I absolutely love watching all of our little ones mixed in amongst the big birds!...

Anyone have peafowl and/or pheasants near nw pa?

Try Kinmera.... she is in NW but I don't know if she has what you are looking for. She is at work during daytime hours but will probably get back to a PM within a day or two.

Blarneyeggs , I can't begin to comprehend what you are going through right now.... I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
you and your DD and your family are all in my prayers for both the surgery and the time needed to recover!

On a practical side, and I can understand if you aren't up to answering these yet.... The disease the bird tested + for..... Does it survive in the environment or only organism to organism? I guess what I am asking is will your property be OK for birds again by spring or sooner if you are ready? The reason being... I am sure there are many of us on here who would be willing to incubate eggs for you and keep chicks until you are ready to have them back so you can re-establish your flock with offspring of your existing birds. If there is any way to make this possible please let us know so we can help. I know your kids are your #1 priority right now, but if we can help in the background while you take care of them then maybe your time invested in the flock will not be lost.

Blarney,
Big hugs, you just give a holler if you need to get away for awhile, we can set something up at shady maple or anywhere you would like...
I can not remember what breeds you have, so really can not say about eggs. But think about what was said earlier, I would make room for another breed if you wanted to go that route.

Anyone have peafowl and/or pheasants near nw pa?

I am thinking pheasant will be hard to find at this time, don't they have a very short breeding season... a quick Google search brought up a couple places in pa that offers eggs and chicks but not till spring... good luck... pheasant are beautiful birds

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck with surgery. I know what it feels like to have your child undergo surgery. It is the longest time in your life, the waiting is horrible.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom