Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I found a recipe for medlar jam and a secondary recipe to make a medlar cheesecake from the pulp leftover from the jam (a 2 for 1 type recipe). Probably will be the weekend until I get to try anything since some need bletted yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My hubby loves planting old (heritage) plants and trees that most people have never heard of. We have over 125 fruit and nut trees on our property that we planted in a little less than 6 years since we purchased it. I jar as much as I can because I hate to loose what we've worked so hard to grow and what I don't jar we ferment into wine. We have quite a wine cellar too.

We have apples, pears, plums, quinces, medlars, apricots, pawpaws, peaches, persimmons, grapes (not included in the 125 number), hops, elderberries, kiwis, raspberries, blackberries, currants, gooseberries, etc. I would need to pull out our mapping grid to include everything because there is just too much to remember. All this plus the chickens, turkeys and ducks.

Here's another strange one to look into that we grow and provides a delicious little fruit: Akebia
okay..you know i had to look into this ...haha...that is a different fruit..thing...they referred to the texture as being like lychee fruit..I have had 'lychee' fruit before, i like it!
so, pulp like fruit, but the rind is like a veggie...very interesting!!
It must be able to handle hard winters....how did you even get this plant?..if i may ask..not something that is generally known.....really neat though. I have to read more about the plant, where it likes to be and how large it gets..that stuff.
Thank you for sharing this 'new to me' treasure!!

okay..you know i had to look into this ...haha...that is a different fruit..thing...they referred to the texture as being like lychee fruit..I have had 'lychee' fruit before, i like it!
so, pulp like fruit, but the rind is like a veggie...very interesting!!
It must be able to handle hard winters....how did you even get this plant?..if i may ask..not something that is generally known.....really neat though. I have to read more about the plant, where it likes to be and how large it gets..that stuff.
Thank you for sharing this 'new to me' treasure!!

We buy a lot of our plants from Trees of Antiquity, One Green World and Raintree Nurseries. We gravitate towards older varieties and European plants, they are hardier and grown good in colder climates. We are located south of you but at the top of the mountain so it's pretty much always windy. We usually only pick plants/trees that can handle the colder, harsh winters.

The Akebia fruit is delicious, very creamy. To me it almost reminds me of pudding. We fought over the last one this year, our 4 year old won! We have ours growing up lattice outside our downstairs door. With as cold as it was last year around here, it suffered no effects of the cold and wind.

I know we have some other weird, uncommon stuff. I'll have to pull tree listing.

I found a recipe for medlar jam and a secondary recipe to make a medlar cheesecake from the pulp leftover from the jam (a 2 for 1 type recipe). Probably will be the weekend until I get to try anything since some need bletted yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My hubby loves planting old (heritage) plants and trees that most people have never heard of. We have over 125 fruit and nut trees on our property that we planted in a little less than 6 years since we purchased it. I jar as much as I can because I hate to loose what we've worked so hard to grow and what I don't jar we ferment into wine. We have quite a wine cellar too.

We have apples, pears, plums, quinces, medlars, apricots, pawpaws, peaches, persimmons, grapes (not included in the 125 number), hops, elderberries, kiwis, raspberries, blackberries, currants, gooseberries, etc. I would need to pull out our mapping grid to include everything because there is just too much to remember. All this plus the chickens, turkeys and ducks.

Here's another strange one to look into that we grow and provides a delicious little fruit: Akebia

Pop, heard of medlar, but not Akebia. Awesome! Thanks! How are your paw paws? I want to grow them but we don't have enough room here, but it's on the list for the future. Oh, and when can I tour the farm? ;)

Geez its chilly this morning,,,,I'm feeling sorry for the chooks....they can't be liking it though none elected to stay in the 'warm' coop....

I agree, what a brutal morning! At least it was dry though.

Danielle, we are the only ones here! Wanna fool around?! :lol:

Oh, get a room you two! :lol:

Wing, I am just giving you an updated chicken count. I am looking to buy at least 10, maybe a couple more if you have them. Also, I think you mentioned some small turkeys too. I would love one of them as well. Any idea on how big these chickens will be? Last batch were a bit smaller. Just curious. Need to plan my freezer space. :D

My bonehead Bantam Langshan went broody again. I think I will have to let her be broody, since torturing her in the broody breaker seems cruel this time of year, and I would give her some eggs to hatch, but it's just soooo cold and my coop is small, I wouldn't want to take a chance. Unless someone had some fertile eggs they didn't care about. ;) I'm open to advice though....

Two of our boys are headed to freezer camp when Bella gets home from school today... we are taking them over to a friend's house for processing. They are not happy about being crated and a crowing up a storm downstairs! Just another half hour my handsome boys and you'll be on your way to camp!

Wing, I am just giving you an updated chicken count. I am looking to buy at least 10, maybe a couple more if you have them. Also, I think you mentioned some small turkeys too. I would love one of them as well. Any idea on how big these chickens will be? Last batch were a bit smaller. Just curious. Need to plan my freezer space.
big_smile.png

My bonehead Bantam Langshan went broody again. I think I will have to let her be broody, since torturing her in the broody breaker seems cruel this time of year, and I would give her some eggs to hatch, but it's just soooo cold and my coop is small, I wouldn't want to take a chance. Unless someone had some fertile eggs they didn't care about.
wink.png
I'm open to advice though....

I've got lots of fertile eggs, but they are likely frozen by now
sad.png

This really is not good weather for hatching with either hen or incubator, is it?
How long until spring?

Just a picture to remind us of warm weather, maybe if you try real hard you can make yourself feel a bit warmer, just by looking at this picture and imagining the weather that goes with it.

Last edited:
Baby alert! First two are out of the shells! Both are the pure BCM.... and both are yellow lol. They must have the recessive white gene. We were really upset with our last hatch when the only marans chick born that way was killed by the flock. I'm thrilled to have 2 this time. And I think they will be named Wynter and Flurry :) still waiting on the silkie mix and the brahma cross.

Back
Top Bottom