Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have absolutely no idea what that is??
idunno.gif
..now you have my curiosity peaked!....

I have a question also....the potatoes gave seed pods this year. I have de-seeded them, "cleaned" them off..now they are drying...did i do the right thing here??..kinda late to be asking now, but this is an experiment..never knew i could grow potatoes from seed...I have read some things...but was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with potato seeds..and if you do..what / how do you grow/handle them?
Thank you for any info with this.
Love the chick pics!! All the babies are cute as ever
jumpy.gif

We always keep a basket of each variety of potatoes from year to year instead of the seed pods.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/11/medlar-jelly-recipe/
I learn something new everyday here..thank you so much for opening yet another door into the unknown!! hahaha, cause you don't know-what you don't know
wink.png

Now I know what medlars are & you can make them into jelly...going to have to give this plant a thought, doesn't seem to need too much care and is pretty hardy....got the old-gray matter juices flowing!!
old.gif

I made jam this year for the first time ever..hahaha, with all the canning I have done & never to have done -up jam..anyway..I put up Barberry jam...yep, you can make jam from Barberries, just might want to be careful as to how much you eat cause it 'could' cause a little digestive irritation, but I tell ya what..it is good!!
My father gave me a book .. edible plants of PA...very good book..I am looking to do even more with the new found knowledge next year!

I found a recipe for medlar jam and a secondary recipe to make a medlar cheesecake from the pulp leftover from the jam (a 2 for 1 type recipe). Probably will be the weekend until I get to try anything since some need bletted yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My hubby loves planting old (heritage) plants and trees that most people have never heard of. We have over 125 fruit and nut trees on our property that we planted in a little less than 6 years since we purchased it. I jar as much as I can because I hate to loose what we've worked so hard to grow and what I don't jar we ferment into wine. We have quite a wine cellar too.

We have apples, pears, plums, quinces, medlars, apricots, pawpaws, peaches, persimmons, grapes (not included in the 125 number), hops, elderberries, kiwis, raspberries, blackberries, currants, gooseberries, etc. I would need to pull out our mapping grid to include everything because there is just too much to remember. All this plus the chickens, turkeys and ducks.

Here's another strange one to look into that we grow and provides a delicious little fruit: Akebia

chippysmom, doesn't matter how you spell it, i spelled it that way til i was 20 years old and needed my birth certificate for something, when momma sent it i learned it was spelled with two r's:D
penny looks just like the two old english i raised this summer, just a little smaller when i sold them. didn't want to keep them in the house this winter since we're leaving shortly and our son has to feed everything for us. and she should be a good little sitter for you.

Oh my gosh, that's crazy! But I'm glad she'll be a good one to have in the broody department.

Met @sharon in Uniontown today! I was so excited!!!

My ducks didn't sell, but I did buy a little bantam hen. To keep Shimmer company inside this winter.

Her name's Penny. She's a very healthy girl, about a year old. :)
Pretty sure she's a nankin mix, probably nankin/oegb.

she looks just like my little OEGB Cookie :) she went broody for me once already at only 6 months old but she was quite the feisty mother lol.

Speaking of which, do I need to being my OEGB pair in for the winter? I really didn't even give a thought. They've been out in the coop with everyone else so far. I'm afraid to bring them in that I won't be able to reintegrate them back in with everyone in the spring since they're so tiny compared to everyone else.

Awe, that's a perfect name! I heard OEGBs are the most fierce mommas.

Geez its chilly this morning,,,,I'm feeling sorry for the chooks....they can't be liking it though none elected to stay in the 'warm' coop....

Geez its chilly this morning,,,,I'm feeling sorry for the chooks....they can't be liking it though none elected to stay in the 'warm' coop....

I'm feeling bad for them too. They're out there huddled under the coop shivering :/ a couple of them are in the coop though. And it figures, the babies are hatching this morning. Hubby said were going to name them all something to do snow, cold, or winter lol. We did bring our boys in this morning and coat their combs and wattles with Vaseline. They looked a little dark in places.

I found a recipe for medlar jam and a secondary recipe to make a medlar cheesecake from the pulp leftover from the jam (a 2 for 1 type recipe). Probably will be the weekend until I get to try anything since some need bletted yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My hubby loves planting old (heritage) plants and trees that most people have never heard of. We have over 125 fruit and nut trees on our property that we planted in a little less than 6 years since we purchased it. I jar as much as I can because I hate to loose what we've worked so hard to grow and what I don't jar we ferment into wine. We have quite a wine cellar too.

We have apples, pears, plums, quinces, medlars, apricots, pawpaws, peaches, persimmons, grapes (not included in the 125 number), hops, elderberries, kiwis, raspberries, blackberries, currants, gooseberries, etc. I would need to pull out our mapping grid to include everything because there is just too much to remember. All this plus the chickens, turkeys and ducks.

Here's another strange one to look into that we grow and provides a delicious little fruit: Akebia
wow...a real garden of Eden. That is what we are working towards..working being the key work..hahaha..., but the pay-offs are awesome!!
Thank you for this other tid-bit!! Will be looking into that one also!
I will second that!! The water 'inside' the coop was frozen....i don't know how animals do it!

I am heading out for another check on them... talk about a rude awakening! But ours are doing like yours... a (relatively) warm coop available and they are out in the run!
idunno.gif

Originally Posted by Auroradream26

I'm feeling bad for them too. They're out there huddled under the coop shivering
hmm.png
a couple of them are in the coop though. And it figures, the babies are hatching this morning. Hubby said were going to name them all something to do snow, cold, or winter lol. We did bring our boys in this morning and coat their combs and wattles with Vaseline. They looked a little dark in places.

Like the idea of cold weather names... Drizzle, Flakey, Flurry, (ice) Crystal, Nieve (spanish for snow), Niege (french for snow, since Marans are from France I believe?)....
I love the multi language translators available online now! LOL

Back
Top Bottom