Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Found the first egg ever from our CCL's this morning (probably laid yesterday), and another one when I went back to check them this evening.:weee

I stuck those 2 under a broody that seems pretty committed, at least for now. Now I have to decide what to do with new ones that they lay - seems crazy to eat them. The incubators are all shut down for the year.  Seems like a good reason to start one back up, what do you think?

Ummm. What you waiting for?... Is it plugged in yet?

chippysmom, doesn't matter how you spell it, i spelled it that way til i was 20 years old and needed my birth certificate for something, when momma sent it i learned it was spelled with two r's
big_smile.png

penny looks just like the two old english i raised this summer, just a little smaller when i sold them. didn't want to keep them in the house this winter since we're leaving shortly and our son has to feed everything for us. and she should be a good little sitter for you.

Ummm. What you waiting for?... Is it plugged in yet?

I'm trying to resist. Well, not really, but I feel I should say I'm trying. If she keeps laying and I have a 6 or so of those pretty eggs next weekend, my resolve will go away pretty quickly I think.

To be honest, I almost started it up for those BEI eggs you had a few weeks back, The distance to get them helped me resist that time, but that isn't gonna save me this time . . .

Plus, those first eggs are small, hardly worth eating really, might as well try to hatch them . . .

Good afternoon:

Here's my little guy at 5wks....not nearly as good looking as Chippy's new girl or Blarney's outstanding orps....he's 3/4ccl and 1/4 BCM and the first 3rd generation chook

I like the looks of the little guy! He has a nice cover of feathers for only 5 weeks and I have to admit I have a bit of a fondness for the barring. Looks like he will be a good looking fellow!

Met @sharon in Uniontown today! I was so excited!!!

My ducks didn't sell, but I did buy a little bantam hen. To keep Shimmer company inside this winter.

Her name's Penny. She's a very healthy girl, about a year old. :)
Pretty sure she's a nankin mix, probably nankin/oegb.

she looks just like my little OEGB Cookie :) she went broody for me once already at only 6 months old but she was quite the feisty mother lol.

Speaking of which, do I need to being my OEGB pair in for the winter? I really didn't even give a thought. They've been out in the coop with everyone else so far. I'm afraid to bring them in that I won't be able to reintegrate them back in with everyone in the spring since they're so tiny compared to everyone else.

Found the first egg ever from our CCL's this morning (probably laid yesterday), and another one when I went back to check them this evening.:weee

I stuck those 2 under a broody that seems pretty committed, at least for now. Now I have to decide what to do with new ones that they lay - seems crazy to eat them. The incubators are all shut down for the year.  Seems like a good reason to start one back up, what do you think?

Yay! Sounds like a reason enough to me!

Rain all day today and then a high of 29* tomorrow? Yikes, poor little chickens are going to have their first taste of winter, and my porch is going to need another power washing. :rolleyes:

Hello All!!

For anyone here on BYC in PA and surrounding states who may have been to my family's small animal auction at the Green Dragon Farmer's Market in Ephrata, you may know about the devastating fire that leveled our auction building back on September 13th. Well, PLEASE help us get the word out that we will be operational very soon in a new building at the market.

Our Grand Re-opening will be Friday, December 5th!!

she looks just like my little OEGB Cookie
smile.png
she went broody for me once already at only 6 months old but she was quite the feisty mother lol.

Speaking of which, do I need to being my OEGB pair in for the winter? I really didn't even give a thought. They've been out in the coop with everyone else so far. I'm afraid to bring them in that I won't be able to reintegrate them back in with everyone in the spring since they're so tiny compared to everyone else.
When I was a kid, I remember my uncle raising lots of OEGB for showing at fairs. They endured harsh winters and would only get a splash of liquid water once a day. I can't recall him ever saying he lost any to the cold, and if he lost them regularly I'm sure he would have given up on them and concentrated on hardier chickens.

So I'd say leave them there and focus your attention of stopping major drafts for everyone. A heated water bowl would be a substantial luxury for them too. I believe adequate feed and water is the key to survival for chickens in the winter.

When I was a kid, I remember my uncle raising lots of OEGB for showing at fairs. They endured harsh winters and would only get a splash of liquid water once a day. I can't recall him ever saying he lost any to the cold, and if he lost them regularly I'm sure he would have given up on them and concentrated on hardier chickens.

So I'd say leave them there and focus your attention of stopping major drafts for everyone. A heated water bowl would be a substantial luxury for them too. I believe adequate feed and water is the key to survival for chickens in the winter.

good to hear. I already have a heater in the water, they're still getting fermented feed (I moved the bucket inside). Drafts are pretty well controlled. I do have the eves open for ventilation though. Hopefully it's not too much.

Hello All!!

For anyone here on BYC in PA and surrounding states who may have been to my family's small animal auction at the Green Dragon Farmer's Market in Ephrata, you may know about the devastating fire that leveled our auction building back on September 13th.  Well, PLEASE help us get the word out that we will be operational very soon in a new building at the market.

[COLOR=FF0000]Our Grand Re-opening will be Friday, December 5th!![/COLOR]

Although I've never been there, this is great news!

Back
Top Bottom