Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

For those of you who have incubators or who have researched them extensively, this question is for you. Does a Dual Chamber Incubator make sense? My thinking behind the purpose of a dual chamber incubator would be that one side could be placed in lock-down for the little buggers to hatch in without effecting access to the other side that could have eggs in it that still needed your attention. Could be controlled by two different "zones" or systems of humidity and heating. Or somebody could incubate two different types of eggs that might carry slightly different incubating requirements. Does this sound like a feasible idea or am I over thinking this?

When it comes to the incubator (or section of an incubator) that you are hatching in, the #1 thing you will wish you had given more thought to is how to clean it. Hatching chicks make a real mess and the egg shell pieces get into all the nooks and crannies. That is why I have adapted a large cooler just for hatching. Currently, I use the drain plug to pass through the wires and put trays into the bottom (plastic cutlery trays from Dollar Tree fit mine exactly). I am considering some modes where I use the drain plug as a drain and fill the bottom with water directly, then when the hatch is over, remove the hatching baskets and the fans/heating elements and scrub out the inside with bleach or Oxine.

Overall, I'm very happy with the current setup, but always looking for ways to improve it. It doesn't take long to clean and reset the hatcher, so whatever changes I make could make it harder, not easier.

When it comes to the incubator (or section of an incubator) that you are hatching in, the #1 thing you will wish you had given more thought to is how to clean it. Hatching chicks make a real mess and the egg shell pieces get into all the nooks and crannies. That is why I have adapted a large cooler just for hatching. Currently, I use the drain plug to pass through the wires and put trays into the bottom (plastic cutlery trays from Dollar Tree fit mine exactly). I am considering some modes where I use the drain plug as a drain and fill the bottom with water directly, then when the hatch is over, remove the hatching baskets and the fans/heating elements and scrub out the inside with bleach or Oxine.

Overall, I'm very happy with the current setup, but always looking for ways to improve it. It doesn't take long to clean and reset the hatcher, so whatever changes I make could make it harder, not easier.

I cut a piece of ¼" hardware cloth to fit the bottom with the sides bent down forming an inverted tray. I put either dollar store casserole dishes or cleaned Chinese take out trays under it as water containers. I use the dollar store drawer liner on top of it to give the chicks footing. All easily removed and scrubbed.

Question guys! I have some EE and I believe this is a Roo. I know I have one ( he is crowing and I pinned him from the get go! He just has that ATTITUDE) and this one seems like maybe it is as we. Just want your opinions.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Question guys! I have some EE and I believe this is a Roo. I know I have one ( he is crowing and I pinned him from the get go! He just has that ATTITUDE) and this one seems like maybe it is as we. Just want your opinions.
[/IMG]

I ordered them from Myers and was suppose to get 1 roo but I think I got 2.

[/IMG]

I ordered them from Myers and was suppose to get 1 roo but I think I got 2.

This looks like a hen getting ready to lay from this view. I need to know age & see tail to tell for sure.

I'm not sure what type of traps you are using. If leghold, when I was younger and trapped, I suspended the bait (generally dead chicken from the neighborhood chicken house I worked in). Of course I also boiled and waxed the traps and handled with rubber gloves, etc.

Still limited success, but there weren't as many predators then, people actually killed them, they weren't as "protected"

didn't know the traps needed to be boiled....I have "Duke" traps.....

I cut a piece of ¼" hardware cloth to fit the bottom with the sides bent down forming an inverted tray. I put either dollar store casserole dishes or cleaned Chinese take out trays under it as water containers. I use the dollar store drawer liner on top of it to give the chicks footing. All easily removed and scrubbed.
I use hardware cloth too, and the dollar store shelf liner that can be soaked and reused a number of times. Chinese takeout trays make good platforms to elevate feeders and waterers in the brooders.

didn't know the traps needed to be boiled....I have "Duke" traps.....
Typically people that are trappers will boil there traps, rust them a little bit (surface rust so they blend in to the ground better) and wax them. Then everything is handled with gloves so as to not transfer any human scent to them. The traps are also typically well blended in when they are set so the predator can't tell that theres a trap there, just some food that they want to eat, but they have to step in the trap to be able to get it.

Back
Top Bottom