Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Trying to be prepared if I need to give up everything at the farm.
I can not go back to buying from a store so I am trying to look up the borough codes for fowl and rabbit.
What I am finding under the Mount Joy Borough section for animals is that I can keep fowl and rabbit as long as they are caged and at least 30 feet from a residence...
Am I missing something or can I really keep a few breeding rabbits and a quail pen within the borough
I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that...but knowing the family hassles you have had to put up with I can understand why. you know you can contact us anytime for help!
hugs.gif

Maybe I just got lucky or my birds are just that much more awesomer than most :D  but I see all the threads about people integrating there babies with each other and older birds and I wonder how my birds survived.  I bought 4 @ 1 week old & 3 @ 2weeks old. When I bought them they were all thrown into the same box for the ride home (the place I bought them from had all different breeds in separate brooders so they knew what was what), then when we got home they were all put into the same brooder. Never had any problems of them trying to kill each other or really even picking or pecking or general chicken abuse. The 4 younger ones did get stepped on a couple times by the bigger ones but that's about all that happened.

I think it just depends on the birds. I routinely mix different ages. Right now, my turkey brooder has a 5 1/2 week old, 3 4 week olds, a 3 week old and soon will have 4 1 week olds in there with them. I've been mixing ages since I started. Of course, I always supervise to make sure they get along before leaving them alone. Out in the main coop I have 11 that are a year and a half old, 7 that are 6 months old and 10 that are 8 weeks old and they all get along lol

My experience has been that chicks hatched within 4 weeks or less of each other are easier to combine. Older birds are easier to combine when they are the same size, have free ranged near or even with each other and are combined at night.

ETA: no babies yet. :barnie

I HAVE BABIES!!! My bf bought me an alpine doe with newborn (maybe 2 days old, tops) twin bucklings today at the auction.

Hi Stake,
Yeah the next day my BF & a couple of his friends went to the den and put in a "smoke" bomb....Holy Crap! it sounded like a cannon going off. I'm pretty sure she had already moved the kits, and one of our friends said "well if it didn't kill 'em they are probably in another county by now" LOL
fl.gif

Debby:

I also found a den....I did a home made mustard gas bomb...no effect on my problems.....my understandings is there maybe more than one den...one for feeding and one for kits/sleeping...and if one leaves more may move in.....so far, playing a radio disrupts the foxes aggressions...but they are out there waiting for the opportunity....my pooch alerts and will chase them if I allow it, (he's looking to chase them not kill them), so I only free range when I am home.....for my two cents, they are probably still in your area.....

My experience has been that chicks hatched within 4 weeks or less of each other are easier to combine. Older birds are easier to combine when they are the same size, have free ranged near or even with each other and are combined at night.

ETA: no babies yet. :barnie

Didn't you take your goat to the vet? What did they say?

Nope, haven't called the vet. I checked on them about 4am, she didn't rouse as quickly as the others, which has me a little concerned. I'm going to check again when the rain lets up a little more, I don't want to lure her out in this weather.

The cockerel is crowing, the pullets are squatting, the egg song is being sung, the combs are red. The gosh darn eggs are still not being laid. :barnie

Lol that's where I'm at too! All my girls that hatched in January have been squatting for a while now and have nice red combs but still no eggs! It's always such a long wait for those first eggs....

My last two chicks have hatched! One last night and 1 this morning. It looks like all but one were fathered by my lavender ameraucana roo. The last one that hatched is all yellowish with maybe a faint stripe down its back and odd colored legs (yellowish/grey). I believe my little oegb managed to get my white silkie too lol. So her two eggs hatched out with two different daddys :). I'll get some pictures later but it looks like I probably have 2 black, 1 lavender, and 1 blueish fluffy cheek babies and then 1 yellowish oddball lol

Back
Top Bottom