Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I know lots of people use sevin on their chickens, but I've heard it's no longer approved for use on poultry. I started looking into other options because the DE I've been using just isn't cutting it. I ended up getting the 'poultry powder' at TSC, but I came across this info in a couple older threads on BYC:

"There is no doubt Sevin works on bugs however it is being taken out of the market gradually, for both plants and critters. It's proven to be highly carcinogenic and a long residual nerve toxin as well as highly water toxic for a very long time. Many people that thought it safe for years and used it now have tremors and even seizures from the lasting effects building up. If you check it's status on the PAN info site you will see most of the licenses to produce it are now canceled. Enter Sevin here. If you go to an individual product like this one you can read the risks and studies under each warning about it.

Depending on where you are Sevin could already be restricted for use in poultry, we can't use it here. And even when it was approved there is a withdrawal time for all concentrations, and it could never come in contact with eggs as they are too porous. So check to make sure your using the up to date information on this product."

and

"I don't use sevin dust anymore. I used it at one time. It is a carcinogen. Just because you don't see its effects now doesn't mean you might not see it down the road. Cancer is not something a person or an animal gets immediately after exposure to a cancer-causing agent. I recently had an older hen to die. I sent her to a State lab, and it was ovarian cancer that killed her. Only a lab could have diagnosed this; otherwise I would not have known. I have no way of knowing what caused the cancer but the sevin dust I once used COULD be the culprit (as well as other things). She was a hen I had when I used sevin regularly. Sevin Dust kills honeybees and other beneficial insects, such as Ladybugs, Green Lacewings. etc."

and

"Sevin is a chemical can carbaryl that is a neuro toxin. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is toxic and bad for the environment and is illegal in a number of countries. It is commonly used in the US on crops but is not approved for use on poultry or any other animals. It is not good to breath in at all.

It works great. It will be far more effective than other dusts available and it is not going to make you or your chickens drop dead. That is all true. But, it is nasty stuff and is devastating to wild bee and other helpful insect populations. It is also EXTREMELY and terribly toxic in water and kills crustaceans and aquatic invertebrates like crazy."

Someone I know had a lice problem, and asked me what I used because DE would NOT get rid of the lice, even if they thoroughly "scrubbed" the birds with DE every day. I suggested sevin, and they said that it did the trick immediately.

Thank you @emorems0 for bringing how harmful this product is to everyone's attention. I'm one of those people who likes to do everything holistically, and herbs are a huge part of my bird keeping practices. I always try herbal remedies before going out and buying medicine.

That being said, I just thought to myself "If DE doesn't work, and sevin is unsafe, then what are we supposed to use?" Then it hit me: essential oils. Bugs hate peppermint. Maybe by putting a few drops of peppermint essential oil under the vent/under the wings and rubbing it in could eradicate the lice. I don't have lice right now, but is there anyone out there that has lice and peppermint essential oil and is willing to try it?

Edit: Googled it, and ACV kills lice. They also don't like Tea Tree Oil. Maybe a tea tree/peppermint oil blend will help?

Last edited:
That being said, I just thought to myself "If DE doesn't work, and sevin is unsafe, then what are we supposed to use?" Then it hit me: essential oils. Bugs hate peppermint. Maybe by putting a few drops of peppermint essential oil under the vent/under the wings and rubbing it in could eradicate the lice. I don't have lice right now, but is there anyone out there that has lice and peppermint essential oil and is willing to try it?
The other answers are:
a) Permethrin - available at TSC as both a liquid to mix and spray, and a powder to dust like with Sevin.
b) Ivomectin - also a dewormer, though some worms have become resistant to this. A few drops on their skin on the back of their head, like "Frontline" to kills fleas on a dog, is supposed to be extremely effective, and likely safer than Sevin or Permethrin. I believe this drug was developed for internal use in humans, and I'm quite sure the others are not prescribed for people to ingest. It is pricy though, compared to the others.

wee.gif

First EVER peachick just hatched !!
I was not expecting them to even lay this year, let alone be fertile (they are still young). And peafowl eggs are harder to hatch than chickens.

This one gets super spoiled, I want a "rediculously tame" peafowl. Now, what to name it . . .
Our first turkey poult is named Pilgrim, maybe something Indian for this one (as in the peafowl's native country, not the native Americans).

I posted this a page or so back but I'll post it again since everyone's talking about bugs.

2 Oz water
2 Oz white vinegar
15 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops peppermint essential oil
10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops tea tree essential oil

Seems to work really well but it doesn't make a whole lot. I quadrupled it last time I made it and it covered a good bit but I ran out of lavender oil lol.

For worming, I use Valbazen because's it's broad spectrum. Wazine only takes care of round worms. I worm once a year and time it with molting or broodiness so there is no loss of eggs since there is a withdrawal with Valbazen.
For lice/mites, I use one or a combo of Ivomectin pour-on, Sevin, poultry dust and bathe with dog/cat flea and tick shampoo. Yeah, I just read everything about Sevin. I still keep it around just in case. I've only had lice once and I only applied it once and in a one time use case, I am not sure how much damage it could do... Has there been a studdy on that? Or periodic use? Like once every 2yrs? Just curious.

wee.gif

I was not expecting them to even lay this year, let alone be fertile (they are still young). And peafowl eggs are harder to hatch than chickens.

This one gets super spoiled, I want a "rediculously tame" peafowl. Now, what to name it . . .
Our first turkey poult is named Pilgrim, maybe something Indian for this one (as in the peafowl's native country, not the native Americans).

congrats!!
thumbsup.gif
How about Apu? hehe

:weee

Congratulations!

KALYANA कल्याण m Indian
Means "beautiful, lovely, auspicious" in Sanskrit.

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/indian

I found a while page with Indian names and their meanings

:weee

Awesome! Congratulations! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom