Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Debby:

Found "a den" and did the mustard gas treatment to it.....it may or may not have killed any and it did make them much more wary, but they are still here....I've spot lighted them a few times and have heard calls from two different foxes at night(two different males I think).....its a PIA....
Stake:

You have some determined foxes.....my BF says if you are sitting out with your gun...did you try "Knight and Hale Predator Call" and/or Predator Quest Electronic Call? He also borrowed a night scope.....this was all tried after the concussion bomb....so we think they had already fled the area. And we totally understand the PIA!!! Good luck getting them/or getting them to leave!

from montgomery county want to get started..not sure what breed or breeds i want but i want them to be good pets not very flighty and can lay eggs pretty well

from montgomery county want to get started..not sure what breed or breeds i want but i want them to be good pets not very flighty and can lay eggs pretty well

Welcome! I'd say look into buff orpingtons and barred rocks to start off, once you get rolling in the chicken breed world it'll be a snowball effect and soon you'll want one of every breed. If you're looking for pretty eggs, Americanas are usually friendly but their laying varies depending on what breeds they're mixed with. I had a purebred ameraucana and she layed gorgeous large blue eggs every day, she was great.

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Howdy from Chester County.....many folks here to help you fill that coop....BTW your coop should be twice as big as the # of chooks you want in it? And no matter what breed you think you want today, there will be other breeds that fancy your interest in 6mos....and although you think a roo is out of the question,,,,you will want to hatch some of your own,,,,

So, here are my FAV breeds..: Cream Crested Legbars, Dorkings, Marans, and Opringtons, and Wyandottes....(the first two are hard to find)

Some other breeds: Silkies, Bared Hollands, Chanculer(sp), Hemedora, Isbars, Bramaha's, Cochins...

For Friendly, I'd say Silkies, Dorkings, and Cochins, are good choices...my two cents....

PS: Chippy's suggestions are pretty good too!

Last edited:
Hi there! Just registered for the site today. I used byc when I was figuring out if my family even wanted to get into this. I'm glad we did. We now have 2 gold laced cochin. 1 blue cochin snake got the other one first week outside due to my not realizing that hardware mesh was essential. 4 australorp and 2 silver laced Wyandotte. Just finished building the coop last week. 2 gold laced cochin roosters as well. Our flock is located in beaver county! Western pa

Welcome from Cambria county! Breeds I'd suggest are rhodebars (though to find) and ameraucanas. Both breeds are very friendly and lay well. Cochins and silkies are known for being friendly too but they have broody tendencies. I also have 2 golden comets (productions birds). They are extremely friendly and lay hire brown eggs every day.

Back
Top Bottom